Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS Cluster on a large scale

Discussion in 'Database Discussion' started by christec, Jan 22, 2009.

1. christec

christec Member

Hi,

I am thinking of using the DNS cluster on a large scale to support 125,000+ zones/domains. By default zone files are created in the /var/named/ directory. I can see this becoming a performance problem with 125,000+ files in a single directory.

Does anyone have experience with managing a lot of domains with DNS cluster? If so, any suggestions would be helpful.

Is it possible to have DNS cluster create and/or use sub-directories under /var/named/?

Meaning:
    /var/named/0/0/<domain.db>
    /var/named/0/1/<domain.db>
    /var/named/z/y/<domain.db>
    /var/named/z/z/<domain.db>

I would really like to be able to support sub-directories, which would reduce the number of zone files in a single directory.

2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I seem to remember reading somewhere that BIND can use a database instead of individual files, but I don't know if it would still work with cPanel's proprietary clustering system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...