The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS cluster on servers already hosting websites

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by ruiz, Dec 27, 2010.

1. ruiz

ruiz Active Member

Hi there,

I have 5 webservers and i want to use 2 of then to host all my dns's. Problem is, all those servers are already being used by clients and i cannot afford 2 extra servers(or 2 vps's). The question is... Is it possible to create the cluster pointing to 2 of my servers? How's that gonna work?

Here's what i want to do:
    -------------------------
    server 1 - NS1
    server 2 - NS2
    server 3 - dnss points to server 1 and 2
    server 4 - dnss points to server 1 and 2
    server 5 - dnss points to server 1 and 2
    -------------------------

But what should i do with the clients already hosted on server 1 and 2? Can i point those servers to each other? Will it work? Thanks!

2. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It's quite simple really, my guess is you're over-thinking it. :)

Leave your DNS settings as-is for your two existing servers, and for servers 3-5 simply enable DNS clustering with both server 1 & 2. Set 3-5 to synchronize changes with 1 & 2, but not vice versa.

Set new domains on 3-5 to use the nameservers on 1 & 2, and then when you setup an account on 3-5, the DNS record will be auto-propagated to 1 & 2!

3. ruiz

ruiz Active Member

Hi garrettp thanks for your response,

That'll work, But the problem is that ns1 won't respond for the websites hosted on server2, and ns2 won't respond for websites hosted on server1. They will work, but maybe i'll have some problems with only one NS working for those servers.

Do you think i'll have a problem if i point server2 to NS1 and server1 to NS2? Thanks

4. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    ruiz,

My assumption there was also that you have a two-way synchronization setup between 1 & 2 to ensure record updates remain consistent between them and they each have an identical copy of all of your hosted DNS records.

The others only need a one-way sync since they will not be doing any DNS hosting on their own.

5. InstantIT

InstantIT Registered

For me, I would consider on taking 2 budget VPS server and setup them with DNS only cPanel and reconfigure the nameserver to be hosted there.

This would saved up alot of configurations and the changes of IP address can be updated directly via scripts.

6. ruiz

ruiz Active Member

Thanks guys! I'll try to setup openvz on 2 of my servers, if i have any trouble i'll just stick to the usual way and cross link like garrettp said.