The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS cluster problem

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by bigdessert, Apr 6, 2010.

1. bigdessert

bigdessert Active Member

Jul 21, 2006
    I don't know if I am doing something wrong here, but here is my setup:

vps1-full whm/cpanel hosting all accounts-nameserver1 points here
    vps2-full whm/cpanel used as a failover for a couple accounts-nameserver2 points here

dns cluster is setup and synchronization is setup for vps1 to vps2 only one way.

So what I was attempting to do tonight was to simulate a failure of vps1 so I shut vps1 down. From there I went to vps2 and tried to change the dns zone to point to vps2 to get the failover site up and running. Well I waited for 10 minutes and it still was trying to access the vps1 server for my domain.

However, if I bring back vps1 online and just change the ip in the dns zone to point to vps2 when both are online everything changes correctly in a matter of 2 minutes.

So something about when bringing vps1 down is still trying to look at that instead of hitting my next nameserver that points to vps2.

Is it just some really simple setting I am missing here?

My thought is if this will not work is to get 2 more vps's and setup a dnsonly cluster and make those two the primary nameservers.

Thanks for the help in advance.
  2. MikeDVB

MikeDVB Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    DNS doesn't work like that in my experiences - although when a DNS Query comes in to NS1 and that gets a servfail or no response you would think/hope that it would then try NS2 - this is often not the case.

Why does it not always work like that? I couldn't tell you - but I do know that is how it has worked in my testing in the past.

Maybe somebody else will have a better reason/explanation.