The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Cluster Questions

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by AshleyUK, Feb 6, 2011.

1. AshleyUK

AshleyUK Registered

Hello,

I have two VPS CPanel's One in USA and one in UK, I currently have them both in a DNS cluster with them both sending each other their records.

The aim was to be able to just have a ns1.domain.com and a ns2.domain.com which clients could use no matter which Location they are on, and being able to move a client between USA and UK without any DNS downtime.

Doing what I have done will this work how I want it to, currently I have USA nameservers set to ns1 and ns2 but not sure what to set the UK one's to. Or do I need to set it up differently to do what I want to do?

Thanks,
    Ashley

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Ashley,

If the nameservers are clustered and each receive the records, then it shouldn't matter what names you use for those nameservers. You can either use ns1.domain.com for the one in the USA and ns2.domain.com for the one in the UK, or you could have more than one at each location (like ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com for the USA ones and ns1.domain.co.uk and ns2.domain.co.uk for the UK ones). It really doesn't matter how they are named so long as you have them properly clustering to pick up the same DNS zone records.

Thanks.

3. AshleyUK

AshleyUK Registered

Ok, Thats great I understand that, so just need to have named running on both servers? and both servers sending their DNS Records to each other?

Thanks,
    Ashley

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Ashley,

Correct, you should simply need to have both sending records to each other and named running on both to ensure they are syncing up.

Thanks.

5. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For some reason we have issue getting people to use 4 nameservers; they always want to use 2, we set ns1 and ns3 on sever 1 and ns2 and ns4 on server 2