Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS Cluster Questions

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Dradden45, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Dradden45

Dradden45 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well I have done quite a bit of reading and searching regarding the DNSOnly cluster setup but still have a few questions.

Currently I have 3 DNSOnly servers setup as per the documentation. But I am still unclear as to if I need to enable clustering on each DNSonly server and if so what should I set each one as (write only, stand-alone)? Do I need to add the other DNSonly cluster servers to each other?

Right now I have clustering disabled on the DNSonly servers. On the actual shared hosting server Clustering is enabled and reverse trust setup for all 3 of the DNSonly servers (write only).

Not sure this is entirely correct or optimal so any input is appreciated.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello :)

No additional configuration is required, however you can choose to enable clustering on the DNS-Only servers and select "Standalone" as the role. This document may also help:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configurations - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Dradden45 likes this.
  3. Dradden45

Dradden45 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for the quick help. Yes I have that article memorized already :) What additional benefit would be gained from enabling clustering on the DNSonly servers in standalone mode?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    It allows you to visibly see which cPanel servers are linking to that particular DNS-Only server. However, it's typically reserved for situations where you are not using a direct link configuration (e.g. DNS-Only syncs to another server). The current configuration you have in-place is suitable.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Dradden45 likes this.
  5. Dradden45

Dradden45 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator