The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS cluster - requires updating old nameservers?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by jcsolutions, Jan 12, 2006.

1. jcsolutions

jcsolutions Well-Known Member

SENERIO:
    - I have 2 servers with full root access.
    - Server1 at DC1 using ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com
    - Server2 at DC2 using ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com

GOAL:
    I'd like to setup DNS clustering so that both servers can use ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com, but ns1.mysite.com would point to Server1 and ns2.mysite.com would point to Server2 (for redundancy).

QUESTION:
    I can setup the clustering easy enough, but what I don't understand is all the existing domains with ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com nameservers. Would I have to update all of those domains to ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com, or is there a way to do this without updating all those DNS records?

#1 jcsolutions, Jan 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Yes, you will have to update all the domains on Server1 to ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com as they will currently be using ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com having different IPs.

3. jcsolutions

jcsolutions Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response.

There's no way to keep ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com working just on Server1 only? I kinda figured this was possible, just didn't know how.