DNS Cluster setup questions

CBG

Apr 23, 2010
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

I have just finished setup 3 DNS Only servers and would like to make sure I am doing the next bit right.
  1. Login to WHM on the web server and add the 3 DNS Only servers into the cluster.
  2. Sync DNS Zones to all servers.
  3. Turn off Bind on web server.
Is that correct?

I do have 2 questions
  1. Do I need to add the web server on each of the DNS Only servers, in the cluster as Standalone?
  2. Do I need to add each DNS Only server on each of the other DNS Only servers, as Standalone?

twhiting9275

Sep 26, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hello,
You don't need to add each DNSonly server to the other. That's redundancy, but not needed
As far as adding DNSonly into the clusters, I always use sync changes, but standalone should work, yes

Reactions: CBG

sjwrick

Jan 9, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Why turn ff bind on the web server?

My understanding is the cPanel web server actually tracks changes to the DNS entries for the domains you host. The cluster allows you to notify the master servers (the ones listed at the registrar) what the correct/current record is.

I would expect you need to keep bind running for the web server to notify the 3 master servers.

From the perspective of the web server - I "write only" to the masters. I don't want the masters writing back to the web server all the other domains they answer for.

Webserver
↳ Master 1 (write only)
↳ Master 2 (write only)
↳ Master 3 (write only)

My reverse relationship from a Master to my web server is "stand alone".

Master 1
↳ Webserver (Stand alone)

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: cPanelMichael

CBG

Apr 23, 2010
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

As I am still in the testing phase before I launch.
I have set it up as followed

Web Server
↳ DNS Only 1 (Synchronize Changes)
↳ DNS Only 2 (Synchronize Changes)
↳ DNS Only 3 (Synchronize Changes)

DNS Only 1-3
↳ Web Server (Standalone)
↳ DNS Only 1-3 (Standalone)

Then I disabled Nameservers (Bind) on the Web Server, created a test account and it as added to all DNS Only servers, DNS seems to be running ok, but it only a test account on.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011