The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Cluster Syncs All Servers When It Shouldn't?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by markb14391, Sep 25, 2008.

1. markb14391

markb14391 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm setting up a DNS cluster using two cPanel hosting servers, a primary cPanel DNS Only server and a secondary DNS Only server. I have it set so that each hosting server's changes go to the primary DNS Only server, then the changes on that server are mirrored on the secondary DNS Only server. Each hosting server should, therefore, only have its own zone records. The DNS servers should have all the zone records from both servers.

To sync existing domains, I did a "Sync All" using v1. After that, both hosting servers ended up with all of the zone records from both servers. Why did that happen? I know it's a "Sync All" command, but I assumed that it would only sync all within the parameters of the various "Standalone" or "Synchronize Changes" settings for each server. Why did it give everything to all servers? How can I sync existing domains but only where they are supposed to go?

Thanks,

Mark

2. markfrompf

markfrompf Well-Known Member

Have you double checked that the dropdowns are configured to your liking on ALL ENDS of your cluster, not just on one end?

3. markb14391

Hi Mark,

Good suggestion, but I am fairly certain I did. I will check again and try to reproduce.

Thanks,

Mark

4. markb14391

Everything is set right at every end, but it still happens. I guess that "Sync All" really means "Sync All." Can someone from cPanel confirm this?

So far DNS Only seems to have made life more difficult. :-(

Thanks,

Mark

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is a long standing issue with the Syncing mechanism. Performing a Sync All ignores the cluster configuration and populates every member with every zone.

6. markb14391

Thanks for the clarification. In looking at the options, I guess I can login from the server I want the zones to go to, then do a v1 sync using the option to only sync everything to this machine. Should that work properly?

7. Salman75

Salman75 Well-Known Member

If this a known issue, we would expect this to be resolved. Why hasnt it been?

8. markb14391

This is only one of many problems I've encountered. I'm trying to move accounts from one server to another. I have DNS only setups with nameservers pointing to all the right places. But whenever I transfer an account it either doesn't point to the right server (even if I use express transfer) or the DNS zone gets hosed during the transfer. It's a big mess and it won't work right no matter which method I try. Has anyone else experienced serious problems?

9. markb14391

To make matters worse, now the "Sync All" function doesn't sync anything! Websites can't be accessed because their zones aren't on the DNS Only server, and it won't sync no matter what I do. Based on my experience so far, the DNS Only product is broken (as is the "Sync All" feature which seems to follow whatever rules it wants to at the time). To be frank, I'm tired of wasting hours troubleshooting things that should have worked properly out of the box.

10. Salman75

I also contacted cpanel support for some DNS only issues and it seems they are not interested in replying and the same case on this thread.

I wonder why they even market the DNS only version of cPanel since it's obviously broken.

11. markb14391

I did a clean reinstall to fix everything that cPanel/WHM hosed. And now I'm locked out of my server, getting the License Activation page. The license is paid and verifies properly, but nothing I can do will let me access WHM. I deleted that VPS, re-created it, and reinstalled cPanel/WHM. Same garbage. I put in a ticket, but it got categorized as a billing issue so now I'm worried that it won't be reviewed until tomorrow since it might not actually go to the tech support staff.

This is complete and utter B.S. I have spent more time working around cPanel bugs than I have on all other aspects of my hosting business put together. So many things that should work out of the box are clearly broken. Other control panel software options are looking more and more attractive. Since I have some time on my hands while locked out of my server, I think I'll look into them. This is ******* ridiculous.

12. markb14391

Still locked out of my server. This is fricking ridiculous.

UPDATE: cPanel confirmed that the license is valid and my server is set up properly, so it's obviously a problem in their licensing server. And now they are referring it to their billing department. Since it seems to be an IP-specific issue, I got a demo license for another IP, made it the main one on the server, and that seemed to solve it...for now. Now to get back to the screaming clients.

#12 markb14391, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  13. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

What OS are you running it on? I've had no trouble with it since the early days (The initial releases werent up to much but the later ones are fine)

14. markb14391

CentOS 5.2. Regarding DNS Only, one issue turned out to be that the installer apparently doesn't set named to start automatically. So if the server is restarted...no DNS service! I can't believe that cPanel would have overlooked a detail like that. I added named to ntsysv and it seems to be okay for the moment.

15. Salman75

CENTOS Enterprise 5.2

This is our setup:

All hosting servers synchronize with DNS1.
    DNS1 then synchronizes with DNS2.

When we add a new hosting server to the cluster and select the DNS role to "Synchronize changes", all DNS zones are copied back to the hosting server - even for hosting accounts on other servers.

Meaning all the DNS zones from DNS1/DNS2 are copied back to hosting server.

This should not be the case.

16. innoflame

innoflame Registered

Clustring

Good Day,

I have right now one server
    server1.mydomain.com

and it has

DNS1.mydomain.com
    DNS2.mydomain.com

I am going to add new server
    server2.mydomain.com

and I would like to use
    DNS1.mydomain.com
    DNS2.mydomain.com

what changes to be done to server1.mydomain.com and what to be setup in the new server.

Thanks