The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Cluster, whats going on?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by accyroy, Apr 28, 2005.

1. accyroy

accyroy Member

I've just set up dns clustering on 2 boxes.. The original settings where:
    Box1 = ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com
    Box2 = ns3.mydomain.com ns3.mydomain.com

The dns zones have synchronised between the two boxes, but using dnsreport on any account created on the second server and set to use ns1.mydomain.com and ns4.mydomain.com I get this:
    FAIL: You have one or more missing (stealth) nameservers. The following nameserver(s) are listed (at your nameservers) as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the the parent nameservers (therefore, they may or may not get used, depending on whether your DNS servers return them in the authority section for other requests, per RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these stealth nameservers are working; if they are not responding, you may have serious problems! The DNS Report will not query these servers, so you need to be very careful that they are working properly.

And This:
    ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:

And this:
    Your DNS servers leak stealth information in non-NS requests:

In the dns zone for the domain it has entries for ns3.mydomain.com and ns4.mydomain.com but I have set the authoritive name servers to ns1 and ns4 as they are on different servers in different locations..

Should I now remove ns2.mydomain.com from the first server and ns4.mydomain.com from the second server? So that each server only runs one nameserver.. How can I make sure that when new accounts are created they create the ns entries right?

Once clustering is setup, is there any other tweaking that needs to be done to make sure things are running right? The CPanel instructions are extremely lacking in this department.

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    looking at your error

your dns setings at your registar ar set to ns1 and NS2 ??? or somthing like that
    and your records at your server are ns1 and ns4

thats why you get the error it will still resolve and fuction correctly

I have 6 sets of nameservers runing between my boxes

but I only use 2 now the rest are from old servers and

one on 1 server and one on another

3. accyroy

accyroy Member

Actually, the other way around. Registrar are set to ns1 and ns4, but because the account was created on the machine that operates ns3 and ns4 then the zone file points to:
    domain.com. NS ns3.mydomain.com. and
    domain.com. NS ns4.mydomain.com.

If I manually edit the DNS zone and point the NS records to ns1 and ns4 then everything reports OK.

How do I get cpanel to create a new account using the correct nameservers in the zone file?
    I don't want to have to manually edit the zone files each time I add a new account.