The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS cluster

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by cPanelJared, Jun 8, 2010.

1. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Only one server should be set as standalone, and one should be set as synchronize. Both should not be set as synchronize. Which is set to synchronize and which is set to standalone will determine the direction that DNS zone updates are sent.

For example, pretend you have two servers, server A and server B, in a cluster.

In the cluster configuration on server A, the option for server B would be set to synchronize.

In the cluster configuration on server B, the option for server A would be set to standalone.

In this configuration, server A would send its DNS zone updates to server B. Server B would never send its DNS zone updates to server A. Think of synchronize/standalone as whether or not the server you are looking at will push zone updates out to the other server. If you select synchronize, it will push out updates to that server. If you select standalone, it will not.

The two servers should never be set to synchronize to each other (both should not be set to synchronize in the cluster configuration). Doing so can cause corrupt zone files and other confusion.

I recommend, if you have not done so already, that you review the documentation on this subject:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration
    Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration

2. kostyukdv

kostyukdv Member

Hi,

In Main >> Cluster/Remote Access >> Configure Cluster we can swith from Standalone and Sync.
    How to setup Synchronization is one-way?

Thanks

3. kostyukdv

kostyukdv Member

Thanks Jared

But I would like to do next:

1) I have three servers
    2) And I have one DNSonly server
    3) I sync zones from A to DNSonly, B to DNSonly and C to DNSonly

But in server B i see zones from servers A and C, in server C i see zones from B and A, eth. Is it possible to create cluser DNS without sync all servers in cluser but use only two nameserver?

I hope have correctly described a configuration necessary for me