The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Clustering 101

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Mauritz, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Mauritz

Mauritz Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We want to setup DNS clustering but having had a couple of near crashes, I would rather want to make sure I am setting it up correctly.

We have a primary server which currently acts as ns1 and ns2 (we only have the 2 at the moment) which both points back to the primary server through different IP addresses.

We've also just setup a DNS only server.

1) Which of the 2 servers will be considered the master server for clustering?
    2) Is there any way that any of the DNS information could get lost when syncing due to incorrect master/slave setup?
    3) When a new server is added, do I use the same DNS only server as a slave?
    4) Am I right to then say that ns1 and ns2 will remain the same and I will just add a ns3 at the registrar which will point to the dns only server?

Please mind my obvious learning curve :)

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The following document is a good place to get started:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configurations

It should answer the questions you have posted, but let us know if you need additional clarification.

Thank you.

3. Mauritz

Mauritz Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,

If I understand this correctly, the recommended setup is to have a seperate dns only server for each nameserver, effectively removing the nameserver functionality completely from the production server.

Each production server will then within the cluster work as a primary server which pushes it's data to the dns-only servers. If we get a new server, we will replicate this functionality.

Production servers should always only sync to the DNS only server and I assume should be write only so that it does not sync data from the dns only servers, only to it?

I hope this all makes sense, thank you!

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. Mauritz

Mauritz Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have setup 4 independant dns-only servers and called them ns1,ns2,ns3 and ns4.

To setup syncing, would I setup syncing on the master to push to those slaves, or do I log into each slave and add the master?

Ideally I want a master > slave but if the slave needs to query the master that's fine as well.

How would I go about ensuring it is indeed working the way I intend it to?

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, you configure synchronization on the hosting servers, rather than the DNS-Only servers. You can enable "Setup Reverse Trust Relationship" when adding the DNS-Only servers to the cluster to ensure the DNS-Only servers trust the hosting server.

Thank you.