The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS clustering between servers in different locations

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by alanharris, Jan 9, 2010.

1. alanharris

alanharris Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi everyone,

I am looking into DNS clustering and before I implement I have a question:

I want to DNS cluster 2 (or more) web servers running WHM 11.25.0 in different datacentres. Can this be done or do the servers need to be in the same location?

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

No, there is no need to have servers in the same location. You can have all your servers at different locations.

3. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just remember if you only have servers in 1 datacenter and no backups elsewhere that you are not gaining much by having DNS elsewhere.

4. markhard

markhard Well-Known Member

not really, in the case client using google apps for their email hosting then DNS clustering is giving you benefit as when the web server down, they still can receive/send email using google mail.

for OP: a small vps will suffice for DNS cluster hosting, it's better to have the second DNS server in other datacenter or even other continent.

5. alanharris

alanharris Member
    PartnerNOC

Thanks guys!

So, I assume it's ok to use WHM running web and mail services for all servers instead of using WHM DNS ONLY?

@Mark: You are correct, my goal was mainly for email and to make sites load faster in different locations, as 99% of the websites I host are database driven and syncing the sites isn't part of this project, that's next! ;)