The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS clustering for two servers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by sebby, Oct 15, 2006.

1. sebby

sebby Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Hello all-

Quick question before I setup DNS clustering:

My setup:
    • (ns1 and ns2) running for three years. This server obviously holds the Zone file for to which I temporarily added an A entry to point on my second server's hostname, see below)
    • (ns3 and ns4): brand new server. During whm setup it created a Zone file for my hostname, i.e. (obviously containing nothing but ns entries for ns3 and ns4).

My question is the following:

It appears to me that in a clustering setup the Zone file for will be useless: Therefore, after completing my clustering setup, can I remove the Zone file for whereas I will manually copy server2 A records (already there) and ns3+ns4 entries (NS + A entries) into my main domain Zone file (

I thank in advance for your most valuable assistance. Any advice will be appreciated as it is hard to find complete how-tos for newbies on DNS clustering. I will assume that if my question doesn't make any sense it is because I am still a long way from understading DNS setup !