The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Clustering help needed

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by phantom2, Apr 10, 2004.

1. phantom2

phantom2 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    We just bought 2 brand new dell servers to use as DNS servers alone. ns1 and ns2.

However, we are not real sure how to set up the cluster and want to make sure this is down right before we proceed.

Currently, our servers are set up as follows.

Server 1, our name server in used for the master (ns1)
    and has our main site as well as others hosted on it.

Server 2 is a slave machine with clients on it that has a trust key relationship set up with server 1 and we have also set up ns3 on this machine so those on this server would use ns1 and ns3

Server 3 is a slave machine with clients on it that has a trust key relationship set up with server 1 and we have also set up ns4 on this machine so those on this server would use ns1 and ns4

Server 4 is a slave machine with clients on it that has a trust key relationship set up with server 1 and we have also set up ns5 on this machine so those on this server would use ns1 and ns5

Now that we have the 2 new dedicated servers just for DNS (ns1 and ns2), we need detailed instructions on how to set this correctly and we have a few questions that we can't find answers to. For instance:

1. After we have set up clustering for DNS, do we remove the od trust key relationships on all of out slave machines?

2. What do we do with resllers on our slave machines? They have their own name servers. What should be done here.

Thanks!

2. phantom2

I think I have most of it figured out. My main concerns are the following...

1. Do I need to delete the old trust key relationships first or at all on all of the servers that are connected to our master ns1 server?

2. What about name servers for resellers? Do they just used bind on whatever server they are on?

If anybody can help clear this up it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3. casey

casey Well-Known Member

I didn't and mine is fine. I think it fixes itself when you set it up.

As for 2, I don't know, because I don't have any resellers....

4. Devil Inside

Devil Inside Well-Known Member

I really don't know the answer to #2 either...but...

I use clustering and just create the DNS entry for the reseller's nameservers on the server they are on.

And with clustering of course - it's listed in all of the servers. So it works fine that way.

But yes - they would use bind on the server they are on first as that's where their IPs are I'd think. (not sure)
    But with clustering if bind fails on that server it will fall back on the secondary nameserver. Assuming you setup the reseller's nameservers as ns1 on the server they are located and ns2 on the master (or any other server in the cluster)

Make sense?

5. phantom2

It sorta makes sense. Since it's a cluster, I can have a resellers secondary name server on another server in the cluster?

I've always been under the impression that clustering is used for sharing resources amung multiple servers in the cluster.

In other words, let's say the cpu usage on one server in the cluster is starting to get too high, another server's cpu in the cluster helps balance out the server load. In a sense, a cluster of servers makes all of the servers as one server. Am I correct?

In this case, the cluster feature is being used for Bind and Bind alone. So I'm just a little confused.

I will need to change the IP's for my master name servers 1 and 2. I'm concerned that this will not update all of the DNS zones.

I did submit a ticket on this so hopefully the cpanel techs can help me through this.

Thanks everybody!

6. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

I'm most definitely not an expect on this, but I think you are absolutely right: in the general sense of the word, 'clustering' implies a grouping together of servers so that they can share all/most resources such as CPU, but 'clustering' under cPanel/WHM is only to do with sharing of DNS records, nothing more, nothing less.