The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Clustering is AWFUL

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Godcore, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Godcore

Godcore Active Member

I've been a very happy CPanel customer for a couple of years, and I have to say that this new DNS Clustering function is the worst update that has ever been made to CPanel.

It doesn't work right AT ALL! This clearly should've been tested more prior to forcing it on everyone.

As for this issue, I have two servers in a cluster NS1.DOMAIN.COM and NS2.DOMAIN.COM. Every single time I add an account to either server I have to reboot one or both servers and pray that when they come back both servers will have the correct domain list. Restarting DNS never solves the problem, only a full reboot which causes downtime among other things.

I cannot tell you how many times they have gone out of sync. It is disgusting. I have more irritated customers right now than I've had since I switched from Ensim to CPanel and I would really like to see someone get all of these issues worked out before I lose the rest of my customer base.

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. efeito

efeito Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Well, i cant say the DNS clustering isnt working.

I have this clustering system working perfectly!

And i dont need to reboot or restart anything.

Please be more specific on what you need help, and remember that this DNS issues are very specific and requires a lot of attention.

Regards

3. Godcore

Godcore Active Member

We have two servers NS1.DOMAIN.COM and NS2.DOMAIN.COM

When accounts are added via NS1, NS2 does not route traffic correctly despite the fact that the DNS information displays correctly in WHM on both servers.

For example:

1- I add an www.domain.com to NS1 on the shared IP
    2- Everything appears correctly in the DNS info in WHM on both servers
    3- I can ping the site correctly from NS1
    4- From NS2, I either cannot ping the site at all, or it returns its own IP address, which is incorrect.

If I restart the DNS service, the issue is never fixed

Sometimes, rebooting one or both servers will fix the problem, but not always.

4. efeito

efeito Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Are you SURE you follow the instructions from cpanel?

I really dont have that kind of problems. If you want i can check your configuration.

Just PM me.

Regards

5. Godcore

Godcore Active Member

Yes, in fact we've reinstalled per the instructions a few times and had other people look at the system as well. To date, nobody has been able to figure it out.

Thanks for the offer to look at it, but I can't give that kind of access to someone I don't know.

Anyone Else?

6. efeito

efeito Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

No problem, your decision.

Without beeing more specific i cant help you. And dont blame just the DNS clustering system. I have it running on my servers, and i set it up on more customers too.

Regards.

7. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Have you submitted a ticket? Cpanel staff are the only ones that will be able to help you with this.

8. Godcore

Godcore Active Member

I've submitted a ticket with my ISP who sold me CPanel. If I understand things correcly, I cannot submit a ticket unless I purchased CPanel directly from CPanel.

Is that correct?

I need to get past this, or I will have to move to a different hosting platform. I love CPanel, but I just can't keep losing customers.

9. casey

casey Well-Known Member

No, that's not true. If you have access to WHM you can submit a ticket through there. If your ISP can't fix it, that is your last option. I'd go ahead and submit the ticket. They've always helped me out.

10. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Clustering actually works beautifully if setup properly. You have something out of whack in your configuration. Submit a ticket and read the docs. The techs will help you out. One thing to note is that you may have to edit the rndc-key in the /etc/named.conf. There were issues with two of our servers that one of the lines was not being reset. After that everything works great.

The most beautiful thing about this is that transfers have worked with add-domains re-adding, restores have put add-on domains back in place and customers are able to delete and add the same add-on domain back without the old errors. That alone has eliminated quite a few support tickets for us each week.

11. Godcore

Godcore Active Member

You guys can talk about it being a beautiful thing until you are blue in the face. The simple fact is that it has been nothing but a headache for us. If it worked as it is supposed to, that would be a different story.

I have submitted a ticket.

12. Godcore

Godcore Active Member

Its pretty ignorant to assume that because software works for you that anyone who runs into an issue must be an idiot. There are 1000's of variables that can affect software installation and performance. I don't doubt you've had very good luck with it, I haven't.

Nonetheless, CPanel support was very quick and effective, so everything is squared away.

13. efeito

efeito Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

huh?? Its pretty ignorant?

Sorry to tell you that it worked for us... wasnt my idea you think that we are calling you and idiot, if it looked like, i apologise.

Btw, "DNS Clustering is AWFUL" isnt kind of hard to call to a piece of software that works for a lot of ppl and ... quote: " There are 1000's of variables that can affect software installation and performance".

As i can read from your reply cpanel support answer to your request and they get it installed fine now. Nice! So, is DNS clustering EXCELENT now?

;-)

14. Godcore

Godcore Active Member

efeito, I wasn't talking to you. I actually appreciated your attempt to help, and you did not make the idiot comment.

Yeah, "Awful" in the topic was over the top. I've been fighting this since the day it was released and got fed up. I'm sure none of you have ever done that before. ;)

As for ranking... CPanel is Excellent, but DNS Clustering has only been upgraded to "OK for the moment"

Ask me again after a couple of trouble free months.

15. efeito

efeito Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hey, i dont take it to me, i understand your frustration if things dont work.

I really hope you can come to these forums in a couple of months and open a topic with "DNS clustering is GREAT" :D

Good luck! Glad you get it :)

16. balabachi

balabachi Member

70 servers working awesome!

This is one of the better upgrades from cPanel.

We have clustering working on 70 servers without issue.

Thanks cPanel!

17. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

background: I wrote my own scripts for this back before clustering was an option, that's on one network. On another network, I managed to get a small, three machine cluster(1600 zones) apparently working.

It is however, a resource hog, and performance seems to fall off the more dns changes are being made.

At the beginning of my migration, my "Change site ip address" requests took about two minutes to complete in whm, now it's nine almost 10 minutes.
    Synchronise dns server to master takes forever.

Anyone else have this problem?

18. Myacen

Myacen Well-Known Member

Works great here also!

19. hotice007

hotice007 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

We got it working without a hitch. This is one of the best upgrade there is.

20. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I am having a few issues/questions.

here is the scenario. I have 4 servers. I want 3 and 4 to be ns1 and 2. I added 3 and 4 to the cluser on 1 and set them to synchronize.

Now, here is where the questions start.

1. I need to force a DNS sync from whm, right?
    2. on 3 and 4, so I leave 1 set as standalone, or do you normally have all servers have ALL the dns info?
    3. I had a problem where one site was pointing to the wrong server. An account on server1 had dns that pointed to server 4. I am fairly confident this happened after the cluster setup.
    5. If I move and account from 1 to 2 (assuming all 4 servers are set up) then zone on server 2 would indicate the proper IP, but the zone on server 1 would still indicate the wrong IP. So after the move, I terminate the account on 1 which removes the zone. But (assuming that in question 2 we have everything sync) the sync has already happened. So when I terminate, I leave the zone in place?

I think that is about it. I wish cpanel would come out with some good docs on this.