The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Clustering not working as expected?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Xavior82, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Xavior82

Xavior82 Active Member
    PartnerNOC

Hello,

I have recently activated DNS clustering on my servers, with the objective being to group all my zone files on the same server for easier management (we're using a different system to actually distribute our zone information across several servers).

While the clustering appears to work (I can view/edit zone files from all my web severs), it appears this system does not actually copy zone files to the DNS servers as far as I can tell. I expected to see all .db files from all my web servers to be copied to the /var/named directory on my DNS server, but that apparently doesn't happen. Maybe I'm not getting it, but how does the clustering actually work? Is there some other synchronization process happening that I'm not aware of?

Some help would be appreciated here...

Many thanks!

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    After configuring and enabling the cluster you need to initiate a synchronization. This is done in WHM >> DNS Functions >> Synchronize Records

3. Xavior82

Xavior82 Active Member
    PartnerNOC

Excellent, thanks! I've now successfully synchronized the zone files on my DNS server.

So now, for the inevitable follow-up question...

What triggers the synchronization process when a change is made to a zone file on a web server? Does synchronization only occur when triggered manually, is it cron based, is it triggered when a zone file is edited via WHM/CPanel's MX editor, or is there some other sync process?

If I manually edit the .db zone file on my web server using some third party tool, will this zone record automatically be updated on the slave DNS server as well through this (presumably automated) sync process? If so, how soon after I made the change?

Thank you in advance for clarifying these points!

#3 Xavior82, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  4. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Zones changes are synced when performed through the WHM and cPanel interfaces. Manual edits can be synced either through the WHM interface I mentioned in the prior post, or on the command line using /scripts/dnscluster

5. Xavior82

Xavior82 Active Member
    PartnerNOC

Thanks for your help, Kenneth.

Is there a way to sync only one zone via the command line? Can you post a usage example?

I want to make sure that a single zone change does not trigger a full synchronization (which I have noticed can take upwards of 2 minutes).

6. Xavior82

Xavior82 Active Member
    PartnerNOC

Or am I actually better off just running the full dnscluster sync script at a regular interval via a cron job (say, once every 4 hours)?

7. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Executing /scripts/dnscluster displays usage information. You can use that script to sync one zone or all zones.

You only need to perform a full synchronization in the following scenarios:

1. After setting up the cluster initially
    2. After you add a new member to the cluster

Zones modified using the cPanel tools will be automatically synced within the cluster.