The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dns clustering problem

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dudubroering, Jan 17, 2008.

1. dudubroering

dudubroering Member

Hi,

I am with a problem trying to create a new dns clustering by WHM.

Follow the documentation http://www.cpanel.net/docs/dnsclustering-quickstart/, apparently everything is right, when I change a dns zone in one of the servers, the other the change is also held. Then, the servers are synchronized.

These are two servers that I am using, and set both "Syncronize Changes." But while trying to put the IP's of servers 1 and 2 respectively for the ns1 and ns2, in the body of my record of the domain (www.registro.br), he accuses the error of unknown domain to the server that is not the account. In this case the server 1.

What may be happening, lacked any procedure?

I'm sorry for the my English, but I do not really know speak English, but I can understand what you say.

Thanks.

2. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

When logged into WHM as a reseller, you can only edit the DNS zones created on that server (Create a New Account, Park a Domain, Add a DNS Zone, etc). If the DNS zone was created on the another server, you will get an error (even though the two servers are in a cluster).

When logged into WHM as root, however, you can edit any DNS zone in the cluster regardless of which server created it.

3. dudubroering

dudubroering Member

Hi Stephen, thanks for your reply.

I'm logged in WHM with root user, I can edit the zones of the two servers are in a cluster. They are syncronized, however, I can't add a IP of the server 1 in the register of the my domain. You understand me?

Thanks

4. Stefaans

I am sorry, I totally misunderstood your question :eek:

Typically when you edit a DNS zone, there should be two or more NS records. These should reference host names, not IP addresses. The only time you would ever enter an IP address in a DNS zone, is for an A record.

I hope this answers your question ;)

5. dudubroering

dudubroering Member

I think it still can not explain very well. :(

My problem is to register my domain, which is not accepting the IP of one of my servers that are in this DNS Cluster

See this image: "Whois" of my domain. Before attempting to change it. :eek:
    [​IMG]

Zone of dns (ns1 was changed to the other IP server that is in the DNS cluster)
    [​IMG]

Finally, the image of the error when I tried to change the IP of the DNS Master Server.
    [​IMG]

I hope that I have been able to explain ...

Thank you so far.

#5 dudubroering, Jan 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  6. Stefaans

I apologise, Dudubroering, I totally missed the mark again :eek:

It appears as you are trying to register a domain name and use the domain itself in the name servers. You cannot do that -- an extra step is needed.

I have no experience with .com.br names. However, how it works with .com and other domain extensions, is to first register the domain using name servers that do not reference the domain itself. Then, once your domain is registered, one can register name servers under that domain. And once your name servers are registered, you can update your domain to use the name servers defined under itself.

In other words:
    1) Register yourdomain.com.br with ns1.someother.com and ns2.someother.com
    2) Create the name servers ns1.yourdomain.com.br and ns2.yourdomain.com.br at your registrar (your registrar can tell you how to do this)
    3) Update yourdomain.com.br to use ns1.yourdomain.com.br and ns2.yourdomain.com.br

If I am misunderstanding again, please just ignore me ;)

7. dudubroering

dudubroering Member

Hi Stephen,

Apparently you understand, but there is a detail, the domain is already registered as the first image shows.

I would just change the IP of ns1 for IP of the other server that are in dns cluster, but this is not possible, because the registrar shows the error "Unknown Domain" on the server where there isn't the account, but only the dns zones copied to the other server. :(

We do not know what more try.. :eek:

Thanks for your reply.

--
    Eduardo