Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS Clustering questions

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by MattGarner, Nov 14, 2018.

1. MattGarner

MattGarner Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all,

After a bit of reading I just wanted to get some clarification. At this moment in time we have the following:

1x Full cPanel/WHM Server running ns1.domain.com
    1x DNS Only Server running ns2.example.com.

Ideally as we will probably be adding more Full cPanel/WHM servers in the near future, is for ns1.domain.com to be ran on it's own on another DNS Only server. Is that possible? If so, how would we go about changing that. Setting up another DNSOnly box and then which config would we choose? So that ns1 and ns2 are running on their own DNSOnly boxes. Ns2 is at the moment in time.

If that is possible - Is it also possible for multiple full cPanel/WHM servers to have DNS with the ns1/ns2 DNSOnly boxes we have setup? So all those full cPanel/WHM servers would then speak to the DNSOnly boxes for DNS purposes.

Cheers,

#1 MattGarner, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2018
  2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @MattGarner

Yes this is definitely possible!

Well, essentially you'd change the IP of NS2 to the new server's IP address, add the server to the cluster from the web server and sync records.

Yes this is definitely possible you can have multiple webservers clustered with the two nameservers.

I think the documentation here will be really useful Guide to DNS Cluster Configurations - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gojko

Gojko Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1. first dnsonly (hostname ns1.domain.tld with nameservers ns1.domain.tld, ns2.domain.tld)
    - i add dns cluster for second dnsonly and select standalone
    (but got this: "The reverse trust relationship does not currently work without an access hash file on the remote server. You must login to the remote server and add this server to its cluster manager manually if you want the other server to be able to access this one." i used api tokens, is this problem? i must use public kay?)

DNS Path Diagram

ns1.domain.tld

2. second dnsonly (hostname ns2.domain.tld with nameservers ns1.domain.tld,ns2.domain.tld)
    - a add dns cluster for first dnsonly and select standalone
    (but got this: "The reverse trust relationship does not currently work without an access hash file on the remote server. You must login to the remote server and add this server to its cluster manager manually if you want the other server to be able to access this one." i used api tokens, is this problem? i must use public kay?)

DNS Path Diagram
    ns1.domain.tld

setup webserver whm, hostname s1.domain.tld with nameservers ns1.domain.tld,ns2.domain.tld
    - i add dns cluster for first and second dnsonly and select sync

DNS Path Diagram

s1.domain.tld
    • ↳ ns2.domain.tld
    • ↳ ns1.domain.tld

(like cPanel "guid dns cluster configuration docs" #direct links)

after i create account and point that domain to nameservers ns1 and ns2 everything work ok

is this correct setup?
    dnsonly need to be standalone and webserveras set to sync to that dns only clusters?

second question when i add account on webserver dns records are written to webserver and dns clusters right?
    if is that correct how i can backup dns cluster servers? what if dnsonly server fail(hdd...) do i need backup for dnsonly? what is on it?

also i setup second server and tried to add domain which is added already to server1 and i got error that dns exists so i think this is all setup ok right?

#3 Gojko, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This should still work with an API token and it should automatically set the DNS cluster role to standalone. I did the same and got the warning but can confirm that my cluster is set up:

cluster_ss.png

That's correct!

Yea this should be done automatically once a new account is created on the server

Because the synchronization happens automatically there's not much you need to do if an issue occurs with one of the DNS only servers you'd just resynchronize the DNS records once the server was back up or a new one was added.

That sounds like it's set up correctly - you'd need to remove the domain from server1 (or at least the DNS records) before adding it to another cluster member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...