The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Clustering: synchronization

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by michael.a, Jul 23, 2009.

1. michael.a

michael.a Member

Hi,

We are migrating from another control panel to cPanel, and are investigating cPanel DNS clustering with DNS only.

We would like to know if the following scenario would work:

Several web servers, setting themselves as primary nameserver, and then two external namserver instances running DNS Only, and have synchronization switched on for all parties. I am assuming that this way, all servers would be linked to the two external nameservers, and because of the two-way synchronization, all zone data would exist on all hosts.

I have two main reasons for wanting to do it this way:

- the ability to edit zone data for any host on any given host
    - redundancy

Would this work at all, and would this work without creating conflicts during synchronization?

Thanks in advance,

Michael A.

2. michael.a

michael.a Member

Let me ask a simpler question - is two way DNS synchronization possible?

I've just tried to set this up, and the little diagram on the cluster status page looks a bit odd.

Instead of looking like this:

ns1 <---> ns2

It looks like this

ns1 -> ns2 -> ns1

3. david510

david510 Well-Known Member

If you use cPanel dns clustering, you need to edit at one server. The other will be automatically synchronized.

4. michael.a

michael.a Member

Thanks David, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't another way to do it than that outlined in the documentation. It would have been nice to have been able to edit records on more than one server.

Thanks again.

5. VeZoZ

VeZoZ Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Support advised us to not do chaining like ns1->ns2->ns3 or anything like that. Instead you have something like this

webox
    -> ns1
    -> ns2

So the machine sends the zones to each name server in the cluster rather than chaining them and only sending them to ns1 and ns1 sending them to the others.