The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Clustering...What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by portman, Mar 25, 2004.

1. portman

portman Well-Known Member

I am going to profess dumbness here on this one. I have been toying DNS Clustering for a few hours and have about had it.

Granted maybe it is I want it to work a certain way and it doesn't do it the way I want.

I am starting with just 3 servers:

dns1.dnsshed.com
    dns2.dnsshed.com

dns1 is the pure dnsonly CP install. dns2 is a current full CP deployment.

pinckney.dnsshed.com is another full CP deployment.

What I want to do is be able to add accounts to pinckney and have the DNS Zones created on dns1 whoch would then propagate to dns2.

Once I get that working all our other CP servers will create accounts per pinckney and we will add dns3.

Is this how DarkOrb intended this to work? Do I need all servers in the cluster? or just dns1-3? What do I need to do on the "reporting" servers to make them send to the primary (dns1)?

Clearly I am missing some important aspect of understanding!

2. seeyes

seeyes Well-Known Member

Successful one to reply gives to you? how you have made? I must make the same thing...

Thank you

3. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

One of the cPanel Techs wrote this howto for setting up dns clustering, and I think it's the best out there, read through it and see what you missed, it definitely works if you follow step by step:

http://www.cpanelfaq.com/005/98.html

4. Fillos

Fillos Active Member

You see, the problem with this configuration is that most hosters don’t have the resources to institute a dedicated DNS box for each 1.5 hosting boxes they own. Or, if they do, the VPs have to question the ROI on this solution when you have a master/slave system that requires only 1/10 of the resources, and is less bug ridden.
    At the risk of getting myself blacklisted (Oh no, no more support?!?) Black Orb needs to concentrate on making the features they have WORK, and leave the innovation and bulky processor intensive code to Microsoft. We pay for these tools, you need to listen to your userbase. There are other solutions you know.

5. portman

portman Well-Known Member

Thanks Snickn!

I came to that conclusion myself but having that little set of instructions would have helped.

This would still work if servers 1-3 where also dns1-3.

6. torwill

torwill Well-Known Member

2 server setup

i am so confused about dns clustering setup...:(

so if i have 2 servers, should i set the following:

server1 ... ns1 --- server2 listed in dns clustering, and set 'synchronize changes'

server2 ... ns2 --- server1 listed in dns clustering, and set 'synchronize changes'

is this the cirrect setting? thanks.

7. hbouma

hbouma Well-Known Member

This is what I have and it works when I add a website. (Both servers get updated). However, when I remove a website, the domain isn't removed from the other server's DNS records. The server does not sync when I copy an account from another server as well. Any idea how to fix these problems? Thanks.

Hal

#7 hbouma, Jul 11, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2004