The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Clustering with non-cpanel servers?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by eigh, Dec 6, 2005.

1. eigh

eigh Member

Hi.

Is it possible to do DNS Clustering with a non-cpanel server?

Right now, my company has 3 BIND 9.2 servers, and we would like to have all the dns zones on cpanel to be replicated to and from our existing primary dns server.

The only way I can do that without dns clustering would be to configure the zones on the existing priamry server as slaves, pulling from cpanel.

I would like to avoid this, if at all possible, and make them master zones on both the cpanel server, and the already in production bind server. Is this possible to do with DNS clustering, or am I climbing the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance,

-- Jason

2. laszlof

laszlof Member

3. eigh

eigh Member

Does this run on top of an already in-production DNS server? or does it have to be installed on a newly-installed OS?

The servers that I have are running webmin, and I've got DNS installed in a CHROOT environment... Will this version of cpanel screw up my configuration at all?

Additionally, do you know if cpanel publishes any documentation about the DNS-Only cpanel?

Thanks in advance,

-- Jason

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, it needs to be installed on a clean server.

Yes, it will screw up your existing DNS setup since using the DNS-only system must be part of a DNS cluster with a fully license cPanel server which should contain the orignal zone files.

No, there's no documentation beyond what is on the site regarding DNS clusters:
    http://www.cpanel.net/docs/dnsclustering-quickstart/

Your alternative is to setup a traditional master/slave DNS configuration where you would have to manually keep named.conf up to date, but zone transfers, etc, would be done as in any DNS configuration.