The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS config server + firewall

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by chad101, Apr 18, 2007.

1. chad101

chad101 Active Member

I’m an utter newbie when it comes to DNS configuration. I just installed config server security + firewall. I love it! But, when I run a server security test I’m warned about the recursive DNS. I tried to fix this problem by editing named.conf and turning recursion off. This caused strange errors with Fantastico so I changed named.conf back to its original settings. So my question is should I really be concerned about recursive DNS?

Also after reviewing my dns configuration on dnsreport.com I have 3 errors and I was wondering if someone could please post a link with some documentation on how to fix these errors posted below.

1, Missing (stealth) nameservers dns3.waloop.org
    2, Missing nameservers 2 ns1.greatlakehost.com
    3, Stealth NS record leakage dns3.waloop.org

Thanks, Chad

2. senthil0787

senthil0787 Member

Hi chad101,

The problem seems to be your not properly updated the nameservers in the server DNS recored as in register end,please make the note that always the domain will get resolve if nameservers in the register end and nameservers in server should match..than only the domain should pointed to server as well ...hope your understand and i have check your domain in checkdns.net and result as follows FYI

NS list mismatch: registration authority reports that domain is hosted on the following servers: 'ns1.greatlakehost.com; dns2.waloop.org; dns1.waloop.org', but DNS server dns1.waloop.org reports domain to be hosted on 'dns3.waloop.org; dns1.waloop.org; dns2.waloop.org'. Please make sure that you configure the same DNS servers in registrar database and on your DNS

3. chad101

chad101 Active Member

thank you

Thank you for the help senthil :)

I double checked my account on godaddy and I’m only using 'ns1.greatlakehost.com; dns2.waloop.org; dns1.waloop.org name servers I cannot find anything for dns3.waloop.org at godaddy. dns3.waloop.org was an old name server I have since deleted. Any idea on where I could an instance of this old name server on WHM or in named.conf that might be causing this error?

EDIT:

Ok i found this in var/named/waloop.net.db

; cPanel 10
    ; Zone file for waloop.net
    $TTL 14400
    @ 86400 IN SOA ns1.greatlakehost.com. Ph3nology.gmail.com. ( 2007040100 ; serial, todays date+todays
    86400 ; refresh, seconds
    7200 ; retry, seconds
    3600000 ; expire, seconds
    86400 ) ; minimum, seconds

waloop.net. 86400 IN NS ns1.greatlakehost.com.
    waloop.net. 86400 IN NS dns2.waloop.org.
    waloop.net. 86400 IN NS dns1.waloop.org.

waloop.net. IN A 72.36.194.42

localhost.waloop.net. IN A 127.0.0.1

waloop.net. IN MX 0 waloop.net.

The text in red was:
    SOA dns1.waloop.org.
    waloop.net. 86400 IN NS dns1.waloop.org.
    waloop.net. 86400 IN NS dns2.waloop.org.
    waloop.net. 86400 IN NS dns3.waloop.org.
    Which i have changed to the above.

I restarted my dns and i still get the same errors at dnsreport.com.
    Do i have to wait 24 - 48hrs for change to take effect?

EDIT # 2:
    Fixed! I was able to login to WHM at home and fix the problem by going DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone.
    All errors i was concerned about are fixed

#3 chad101, Apr 18, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007