The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS configuration errors

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by lukis, Feb 15, 2004.

1. lukis

lukis Member

Hello

My DNS server seems to be wrong configurated. I've tested this by www.dnsreport.com , and it shows 3 serious problem (all in NS records).

Is that right that my NS records at my nameservers are:

ns1.theplanet.com. [TTL=86400]
    ns2.theplanet.com. [TTL=86400]

I think it should be:
    ns1.my-domain.com
    ns2.my-doman.com

shouldn't it? (where my-domain is a domain of my DNS). Notice that theplanet.com isn't my domain, it is a domain of support.

And here are these errors:

1 error:
    Missing (stealth) nameservers
    FAIL: You have one or more missing (stealth) nameservers. The following nameserver(s) are listed (at your nameservers) as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the the parent nameservers (therefore, they may or may not get used, depending on whether your DNS servers return them in the authority section for other requests, per RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these stealth nameservers are working; if they are not responding, you may have serious problems! The DNS Report will not query these servers, so you need to be very careful that they are working properly.

ns1.theplanet.com.
    ns2.theplanet.com.
    This is listed as an ERROR because there are some cases where nasty problems can occur (if the TTLs vary from the NS records at the root servers and the NS records point to your own domain, for example).

2 error:
    Missing nameservers 2
    ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
    ns1.servermatrix.com.
    ns2.servermatrix.com.

3 error:
    Stealth NS record leakage
    Your DNS servers leak stealth information in non-NS requests:

Stealth nameservers are leaked [ns1.theplanet.com.]!
    Stealth nameservers are leaked [ns2.theplanet.com.]!

This can cause some serious problems (especially if there is a TTL discrepancy). If you must have stealth NS records (NS records listed at the authoritative DNS servers, but not the parent DNS servers), you should make sure that your DNS server does not leak the stealth NS records in response to other queries.

Please help me with these errors above. I can't make changes in DNS by WHM, I have to ask support to do it.

Thanks in advance.

#1 lukis, Feb 15, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  2. vivo2341

vivo2341 Member

Did you ever find a fix for this? I have the same errors on my server and have been unable to find out the problem.

I even started from square one again with no luck setting them up.

3. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

Same with me. I have the same error, but I don't really think it's a big deal. Everything is still spinning on my end.

4. vivo2341

vivo2341 Member

Well I was thinking the same for quite a while but I noticed some domains are randomly not resolving for some reason.. It will be available to most of the world but not for me for a day and then it will go opposite.. I assume it may be related to this somehow.

I have been searching the net for days and have had no luck figuring out what the heck is wrong..

All my boxes are like this and all are from EV1 so I am wondering if it could possibly be a bad image or just something misconfigured..

If anyone out there knows about this problem and how to fix I have $20 via Paypal with your name on it.. I would really like to see if clearing up these issues will fix the problems and if not move on to other things rather than running in circles.

5. vivo2341

vivo2341 Member

Was not paying attention but I see now someone elses box is at the planet so I dont think it can be anything specific to EV1

6. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sounds like trouble in River City to me. ;)

Whenever a Server is setup there are, amongst other things, two pieces of required information:

Server Hostname & Base IP

Although it is customary for the DC to "ask" what Hostname is to be used, some don't and make things more confusing. It is also customary for the DC to use their own IP, to get the Server up, and it is expected the Server owner will edit the 'resolv.conf' with their own IPs.

I have no idea what is going on with mention of NSs being used that belong to someone else. The DC probably expects the Server owner to change these as well, when possession of the Server is taken.

In the past, I have had people take advantage of my good nature and I now charge for hands-on Server work that I do for others. Feel free to contact me about whatever needs doing.

Contacting your DC for Support is always a good first choice. At the very least, you'll find out what type of Support is provided or the costs involved. For those that have the time, doing various Searches here in this and other Forums, then doing some test & verify with that information and then asking questions based on that experience, would probably provide all the answers you need. Sometimes though, money is cheaper than time. ;)

7. shaky

shaky Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to fix this, I am also having thye same problem where dnsreport.com:

FAIL: You have one or more missing (stealth) nameservers. The following nameserver(s) are listed (at your nameservers) as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the the parent nameservers (therefore, they may or may not get used, depending on whether your DNS servers return them in the authority section for other requests, per RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these stealth nameservers are working; if they are not responding, you may have serious problems! The DNS Report will not query these servers, so you need to be very careful that they are working properly.

ns2.domain.com.
    ns1.domain.com.

This is listed as an ERROR because there are some cases where nasty problems can occur (if the TTLs vary from the NS records at the root servers and the NS records point to your own domain, for example).

8. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    missing (stealth) nameservers

Usually means a problem in the zone file or NSs not being listed in the nameserverips file.

Have you contacted your DC or Hoster on this?

9. shaky

shaky Well-Known Member

In the end I changed the info in the Edit DNS Zone option from WHM and it's great now, all ok. Thanks :)

10. seahorse

seahorse Well-Known Member

i have the same problem...

Stealth NS record leakage...

what dns info needs to be change at whm??

11. flash7

flash7 Well-Known Member

lukis, are you a registrar of Top Level Domain ?

If no, you should enter the name server who have Authority of TLD, for example if your registrar is theplanet.com enter in your zones: ns1.theplanet.com and ns2.theplanet.com, so at this point never start your nameserver.