The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS configurations

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by vinodv, Feb 2, 2010.

1. vinodv

vinodv Registered

Apr 4, 2009
    Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie to cPanel. I am bit confused with cPanel GUI and back end.

Can anyone please clear me how to configure a fresh server as a root completely and make a domain resolving without touching cPanel front end GUI.
  2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2005
    There are 2 parts of cPanel, one is WHM and the other one is cPanel.

WHM -- administrative side, where you can manage all the accounts on the server, server side tweaks, various configurations and many more things.

cPanel -- it's for the end user and is use to manage the domain added on the server. Each account will have it's own cPanel login to manage their domain.

WHM is accessed at:
    user: root
    pass: server root password

You will have to register your own name servers with your domain registrar and assign those to your domain in the registrar domain control panel. Then, configure the name servers on your server from WHM >> Basic Settings option.

In order to host the domain on your server, you have to add the domain on your server from WHM >> Account Functions >> "Create a New Account" option. If you do everything correct, by this time your domain will start resolving to your server.

Well, one sec, do you mean you want to completely configure your server from SSH and not from WHM?