The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Confusion

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by DavidR, Sep 26, 2005.

1. DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

I could really use some help to accomplish a move. I've read a lot of posts concerning dns clustering but I'm having trouble understanding it still. Here is the situation.

server1.mydomain.com and server2.mydomain.com are clustered and sync both ways. All domains use ns1 & ns2.mydomain.com which map to IP's on server1.mydomain.com. I have transferred all accounts to server2 and now want to set up a DNS-only server to take the place of server1 (it has problems and I may replace it later, but for now I don't need it). My problem is how to do this without down time and without changing the nameserver entries for each domain (they are scattered at different registrars under various client's control).

My first thought was to first change ns2 to the new dns-only server IP and let it resolve, then change ns1. This way, I'm assuming that there would always be one functional nameserver entry to fall back on during the change. Does this make sense? Is there a better way?

I've never done this and I am not familiar with the dns-only verison of cpanel yet so any suggestions would be appreciated. I have to do this soon and I just can't find a reference that deals with this situation.

Thanks,

David

2. WMS02

WMS02 Member

Makes sense, but won't work like you think it would. You are always going to have down time when making a DNS change. At a time with low traffic, set up the server with both nameservers. Restart bind and run /scirpts/fixndc and this should bring it up faster than normal.

#2 WMS02, Sep 30, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2005