The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS confusion

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by wendywanderer, Apr 3, 2007.

1. wendywanderer

wendywanderer Registered

Okay- maybe it has nothing to do with WHM... and in any case I'm sure I'm just stupid but help.

I always just had my little personal site up and never had any trouble setting the nameservers and running the site. With 5 people in the house running their own sites I figured I'd just buy a reseller account it's cheaper. So here I am, not able to get the nameservers set up to get started. :confused:

I've had my domain name for years, I go in to change the nameservers to what the person selling the reseller plan gave me which is now ns1.mydomainname.com (and ns2....). I get an error saying the nameservers are not registered.

I wrote to her and she says I have to first set my current URL DNS to the numbers she gave me.. yes she gave me 2 IP addresses... but how do I set the dns to those numbers? Am I supposed to do something on WHM? Because where my domains are registered all I can put in is the previously mention ns1 and ns2 domainname.com... there's no place for IP numbers and IP numbers instead of the domainname.com cause an error.

I have no doubt this is some stupid thing I'm missing.. but the only thing I see in WHM is dns zones.. am I supposed to use that?

Please don't laugh at me, I'm just not geek material.. yet.

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

If the name servers are based on your domain ( aka private name servers) then you will need to register them at your registrar. Your registrar help documentation should provide the information you need to create and register them with the IP addresses you were given.

3. wendywanderer

wendywanderer Registered

Thanks - I feel like an idiot, I just had to go to a different page.. I think I just needed to know I had to register them AT my domain registrar so I wasn't spending my time searching for help in the wrong place :eek: