The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Considerations

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by e2346437, Mar 26, 2011.

1. e2346437

e2346437 Registered

Hello,
    I've just signed a contract to host my own server in a datacenter, and need some help with DNS. The datacenter is giving me 6 IP addresses. I'm not sure what I should be asking my datacenter for. Are my DNS servers completely independent of theirs? Should there be some sort of relationship between their DNS and mine?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Your name servers should be if you plan to host independently. Your DNS service/name servers will be hosted on your server. However, you might use their resolvers which are slightly different from name servers. Say your main domain is yourhosting.com, you need to contact your site registrar to register ns1.yourhosting.com and ns2.yourhosting.com against two IPs of your server (say IP 2 and 3). After that, set name servers in "WHM > Basic cPanel/WHM Setup" and add 'A' records for your name servers using "Add an A entry for this name server".
    After that, you should be good to go.