Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS Data Location in Backup File

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by bethimc, Jun 19, 2019.

1. bethimc

bethimc Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We are running WHM v80.0.15 on a CentOS6 server. Last night, we received a message that the nameserver service was not operational. A few minutes later we received a message it was operations -- no harm no foul, we see this from time to time.

This time was different. I am missing a number of entries in my server-level Zone file. I have a complete server backup from prior to the nameserver going down and want to restore the zone file -- I will even manually re-enter values. Where, in that backup file, can I find my zone file?

The big issue is that we run 3 dedicated servers, serv1.example.com, serv2.example.com, and serv3.example.com. We have access to WHM on serv1.example.com, but are missing the DNS records for serv2 and serv3, as well as their NS records. Some of our websites are completely down and many people do not have access to email. This is critical and I started with Google and my hosting provider. Neither have been helpful. I do not want to restore from the overnight backup because I do not trust it. I have yesterday's backup sitting on my desktop and can pull any file I need -- just don't know where to find it. I've clicked through dozens of files, none of which seem to have a complete zone file. I also have previous backups - we store 30 days in an S3 account.

Help?

Beth

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    HI @bethimc
    I'd recommend opening a ticket and setting it to emergency in this case.
    You can open a ticket using the link in my signature. Once open please reply with the Ticket ID here so that we can update this thread with the resolution once the ticket is resolved.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bethimc

bethimc Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you! I did get it resolved once we called a "higher up" at the hosting provider, and meant to come back here.

The file is in the system backup. It is /var/named/domain.com.db.

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'm really glad to hear that, and yea that is the name of the file but the bigger concern I had is why was the data missing to begin with.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bethimc

bethimc Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We believe something happened to it during the backup process. It was missing completely. We restored from the previous day's backup and everything was there, as expected. Both upper-level admins and a customer service manager at my provider, and I have been through logs and can't find any reason or questionable logins. We have, however, changed the passwords on the system, just to be safe. We also upgraded to 80.0.18 overnight, with no issues.

cPanelLauren likes this.