The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Delegation with BIND

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Kikky, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Kikky

Kikky Active Member

Hi peeps. Not sure if anyone can help me on here with this, but if you know what the procedure is, or where to look, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Here's my scenario:

cPanel is setup as a nameserver, and a DNS server. I have another domain that i've just registered and pointed to my cpanel Server. I'd now like to delegate control of the zone authority from cPanel to my DNS server at home. I'm not sure which records i need to add on this one, or what the reccommended procedure is with BIND. I'm fine with Windows, and just need a little help on this one :D

Cheers!

2. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

Kikky,
    delegation of second level domains is done through the root servers.
    For example if you want to delegate the zone domain.com to the nameservers ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com then first of all both nameservers need to be registered as nameservers with the root servers (done at the registrar) and you need to make the change for delegation at the registrar as well so that these two nameservers are used.
    If you want to delegate a third level domain like test.domain.com then you can do so at the name servers for the second level domain. In this scenario you would then add NS records at ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com for test.domain.com to point to your nameserver at home.
    In WHM you would add the following for the zone domain.com under edit a DNS zone:

test.domain.com. 14400 IN NS ns5.test.domain.com. (the dns server at home)

Remember the trailing dots though otherwise you will get nasty results. ;-)

hope this helps and answers your question?

3. Kikky

Kikky Active Member

Hi Cyber. Thanks for the reply. Would i need to add a record for the NS. Eg:

ns5.test.domain.com. A xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

Cheers.

4. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

Kikky,
    Since the subdomain or zone test.domain.com is delegated you do not need to add an A record for ns5.test.domain.com
    The requests go to the authorative Nameserver for that zone anyway to resolve any queries.