The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS entries fudged.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Downthe.NET, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Downthe.NET

Downthe.NET Member

Hi there,

If this has been posted, please send me a link and I'm sorry that I didn't find it before posting.

I own a dedicated server and just installed WHM/cPanel on it. The hostname is riposte.downthe.net with the domain obviously being downthe.net

Problem is that my DNS records don't seem to want to play ball. If I create new accounts, they do not find the server (even subdomains don't work)

Every time I log in it asks me to add missing A records for riposte.downthe.net and will keep doing it every login. I've added the records via WHM and SSH.

I know it's a nameserver/DNS issue, but since I'm new to WHM on a dedicated server (been using it as a reseller for a couple of years now), I'm doing something nooby and stupid.

Obviously you will need more detail, please let me know what you need and I'll post it here.

Help ASAP would greatly be appreciated...

Cheers,
    Dave

2. Downthe.NET

Downthe.NET Member

OK, Just fixed the A Name problems using a guide here on the forums, however accounts still do not work on the site.

I can ping ns1.downthe.net but not ns2.downthe.net

I know it's something nooby with the DNS zones that I've typoed or missed. I've deleted and recreated all of them to no avail.

I think the problem lies with my hostname not being resolvable - riposte.downthe.net does not respond. What entries have I missed, screwed up with the hostname? This is obviously the answer to all my problems!

Thanks in advance.

3. ravindradhainwa

ravindradhainwa Well-Known Member

Hello,

You need to check the hostname entry into hosts file. To check hostname entry into hosts file and check whether entries are similar as follows.

vi /etc/hosts

Your server IP riposte.downthe.net riposte
    127.0.0.1 localhost

Regards,

Ravindra Dhainwal
    http://www.Host.co.in
    cPanel Reseller Hosting

#3 ravindradhainwa, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  4. Downthe.NET

Downthe.NET Member

Yes, I have a few other bits in there (had to add cpanel in there to get it to verify the license...)

I have 207.......etc ripotse.downthe.net riposte
    127.0.0.1 localhost

...any other ideas.. Thanks for the quick reply!

#4 Downthe.NET, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  5. koolcards

koolcards Well-Known Member

http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=dnsrec&host=downthe.net

At your Registrar site:
    Create the name servers, ns1.downthe.net and ns2.downthe.net
    Modify the domain to use those name servers

In your cPanel:

Create the "A" records in your domain's DNS for those name servers.
    Restart bind

if the sites all use those name servers, they'll work as soon as the DNS propagates

6. Downthe.NET

Downthe.NET Member

DNS servers
    ns1.hosting.xlhost.com
    ns2.hosting.xlhost.com [209.190.96.3]

Answer records
    downthe.net 1 SOA
    server: ns1.hosting.xlhost.com
    email: hostmaster@xlhost.com
    serial: 2008070201
    refresh: 28800
    retry: 7200
    expire: 604800
    minimum ttl: 86400
    86400s
    downthe.net 1 A 207.182.132.115 86400s
    downthe.net 1 MX
    preference: 10
    exchange: mx1.downthe.net
    86400s
    downthe.net 1 NS ns1.hosting.xlhost.com 86400s
    downthe.net 1 NS ns2.hosting.xlhost.com 86400s

So, what bits of that should be different? Do I need to add and assign 2 IPs to my nameservers ns1.downthe.net and ns2.downthe.net in cPanel then add them in my registrar?

e.g. Do I keep the ns1.hosting.xlhost.com as my nameservers or change them to ns1.downthe.net and ns2.downthe.net?

Also I have CNAME's added that I can't remove - would that be affecting things further? Downthe.NET is accessible, but any child accounts are not resolved.

My resolv.conf is now correct, I contacted my DC who provided me with the correct IPs.

Riposte.downthe.net is supposed to resolve to 207.182.132.114
    downthe.net DOES SUCCESSFULLY resolve to 207.182.132.115

I have free IPs, 207.182.132.116, .117 and .118 - I had .117 and .118 as ns1 and ns2 respectively, but removed them.

Thanks once again to those who are assisting me.

7. koolcards

You want to get rid of these. They can't help you in your new location:
    downthe.net 1 NS ns1.hosting.xlhost.com 86400s
    downthe.net 1 NS ns2.hosting.xlhost.com 86400s

Replace them with your own name servers and, yes, that means you need to assign them IP's.

When a surfer tries to connect to your domain, his browser first checks the internet's parent name servers who, in turn, check the registration on the domain to see what name servers it's using and where they're located (IP address).

The surfers browser then queries those name servers (should be yours at your IP addresses) and they tell his browser where the site is located (at what IP address).

As I said, change the name servers used by the domain at your Registrar to your name servers, add the "A" records to those IP's you have extra (the records you removed)

Riposte.downthe.net should also have an "A" record and can even be used as one of your name servers. The name's of the name servers doesn't matter and it's generally simplest to use the machine as one ... BUT, you can still do it the way you have it set now, it just uses one more IP address than you might otherwise.

As long as the name servers are correct, the domain will resolve, and as long as the domain resolves, the CNAME records should resolve.

If downthe.net is resolving correctly now, xlhost.com (I guess your host) must have the domain at least listed in their name servers (won't be needed once you start using your own).

And no, your questions are not stupid. Everybody here started not knowing a da#n thing. I started with proprietary systems in the late '70's (while Microsoft was still in a garage) and I realize more and more every year just how little I know. ;)

8. Downthe.NET

Downthe.NET Member

I just created a new DNS zone for downthe.net after configuring my nameservers via my Registrar...

Obviously, all of this is updating as we speak, but I'll post what my DNS entries- they are now coming up differently when I create them:

now appear instead of the xlhost nameservers.

I'm waiting for the servers to update, however if I've done something wrong, shout out so I can fix it now without waiting then crying later :S

Cheers for the excellent help!

9. koolcards

Don't forget to create them as name servers at your Registrar site before you use them. That can be called different things, depending on who the Registrar is.

ns1.downthe.net at 207.182.132.117
    ns2.downthe.net at 207.182.132.118

This will show you when they've updated:
    http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=dnsrec&host=downthe.net

10. Downthe.NET

Downthe.NET Member

Thanks mate, everythings working!

ns1 resolves to .117
    ns2 resolves to .118
    riposte.downthe.net resolves to .114 and they all ping.

I think I may have stuffed something up, the main www.downthe.net does not resolve - .115 - I just added an A entry for it, but do I need MX records, etc set?

Oh, And:
    DNS servers
    ns1.downthe.net [207.182.132.117]
    ns2.downthe.net [207.182.132.118]
    Query for DNS records for noarail.com failed: Timed out

When using http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=dnsrec&host=downthe.net

Cheers,
    Dave

#10 Downthe.NET, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  11. koolcards

The failed query means your name servers aren't responding.

If you've added the domain as an account, all your DNS records, including MX, should have been created for you. You can Edit the DNS file in WHM to see the records.

If you've already created that domain as an account and you've restarted the DNS server so it sees that current configuration file, there may be a "bug" with the syntax in the /etc/named.conf file. You can do a search in this forum regarding DNS and "view" and there are several fixes.

12. Downthe.NET

Downthe.NET Member

Hi, Just realised something, If I run nslookup on Downthe.NET, it returns:

....shouldn't this be 207.182.132.115?

ns1.downthe.net and ns2.downthe.net also respond with the same IP, whereas riposte.downthe.net returns the correct address (207.182.132.114). Where in the config is this set so I can change this?

Thanks heaps, and who'dathunkit - Dedicated servers are really hard!

13. koolcards

I get:

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: Downthe.NET
    Address: 207.182.132.115

and http://downthe.net/ loads fine
    " Hosting that currently sucks" ?

14. Downthe.NET

Downthe.NET Member

I did nothing; just propagating! Yes, our slogan is "Hosting that Doesn't suck"; we've had 100% uptime for about 14 months straight...

So it was only suitable to tell it like it is...

Nameservers are still not responding, Will search the forums for a fix like you said.

Also, www.downthe.net does not respond, while http://downthe.net does; what do I need to add to get this fixed?

Cheers,
    Dave

#14 Downthe.NET, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2008