Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS error (I think?)

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by GoWilkes, Jun 3, 2014.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I moved everything to a new server a couple of months ago, and everything seems to be running OK. But when I tested on DNSInspect.com, I had some major problems listed.

I suspect that the first problem on their page is the source of all of the others:

Code:
    FAIL: While reading domain NS records at parent name servers, we found name servers without A records.

-- ns1.example.com. → ?
      -- ns2.example.com. → ?

To reach your name servers via IPv4 an A record is needed for each name server.

The confusing thing here is that, from what I can tell, the A records ARE set up correctly. This seems to be confirmed by the first two results at DNSInspect, which are listed as correct:

Code:
    We have successfully fetched domain's NS records from parent name server (f.gtld-servers.net.).
    Domain NS records:

ns1.example.com. TTL=172800 [123.45.67.89] [NO GLUE6]
      ns2.example.com. TTL=172800 [123.45.98.76] [NO GLUE6]

----

OK. Parent name servers are offering glue for domain's name servers. We received name servers list and it's IP addresses from parent name server (f.gtld-servers.net.).

I'm confused; if it could fetch the domain's NS records, and shows them pointing to the right IP, then how is the A record an error?

From WHM's DNS record for the domain that I use for a nameserver:

Code:
    example.com. IN NS ns1.example.com.
    example.com. IN NS ns2.example.com.
    ns1          IN A  123.45.67.89
    ns2          IN A  123.45.98.76
    example.com. IN A  123.45.67.89
    localhost    IN A  127.0.0.1

I couldn't copy the form from WHM, so I typed that in manually.

Any suggestions on where the error might lie?

2. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Nevermind, it appears that the problem (?) was that my firewall was blocking DNSInspect from looking. Which is probably a good thing.

It's worth leaving here, though, in case others have the same problem in the future and can't figure out why.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello :)

I am happy to see you were able to resolve the issue. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...