The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Error

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by fpr, Jan 2, 2007.

1. fpr

fpr Active Member

Hi, would know to say me as I fix this error that i see in dnsstuff.com:

FAIL
    Single Point of Failure
    ERROR: Although you have at least 2 NS records, they both point to the same server, resulting in a single point of failure. You are required to have at least 2 nameservers per RFC 1035 section 2.2.

Look: http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=vservidor.com

2. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This actually isn't an error as such, it's a warning and in my opinion it's debatable as to whether it's really a problem or not. I'm not sure how they're determining that the two IP addresses are actually on the one server, I guess by checking the returned nameserver data somehow.

To fix it, you'd need to run your second nameserver on another machine, and frankly, neither you nor your customers will gain anything from that. Other than getting rid of that warning message which nobody will ever see anyway!

3. Nic

Nic Member

It's not going to help. Even if you run two dedicated servers for dns ONLY.
    I tried everything already.. firewall, different dns. Can't get rid of that error.

4. david510

david510 Well-Known Member

I can see only warning there now.

5. Beansprout

Beansprout Active Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You don't see DNS availability as a problem? DNS....the core service you can provide for your customers? No DNS = no mail, no website....

The dnsstuff test may be failing if you do have two physical servers but they're on the same class C, or for the reasons they specify. If you do have two physical servers running a proper DNS setup and they're in different locations, I'm not sure why it would be giving you the error.

6. clbrack1

clbrack1 Active Member

We would be glad to provide you with secondary dns in a cpanel cluster for $20 per month.

The way it works is we would exchange remote access keys and I would walk you thru setting up a dns cluster from WHM. Then you would point your ns2. ip address to the ip I provide.

At that point you will have offsite syncronize secondary dns for your server.

thanks and email questions to support@techsupportteam.us

Chris