The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS errors reported by intodns.com

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by labahost, Dec 26, 2009.

1. labahost

labahost Well-Known Member

I've moved all accounts from one server to another and intoDNS: checks DNS and mail servers health reports error:
    ======================================
    I could use the nameservers listed below to performe recursive queries. It may be that I am wrong but the chances of that are low. You should not have nameservers that allow recursive queries as this will allow almost anyone to use your nameservers and can cause problems. Problem record(s) are:
    FAIL: The following nameservers are listed at your nameservers as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the parent nameservers (see RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these nameservers are working.If they are not working ok, you may have problems!
    ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
    Stealth NS records were sent:

What should I do about these errors? I have few nameservers pointing to same ips like ns1.domain1.com pointing to the same ip as ns1.domain2.com
    is there something I should do in WHM to fix this?

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

1. Edit the named configuration at /etc/named.conf file and under the "Options" section add the following line

save the file and restart the named service.

2. Make sure the DNS records of the domains contains the same name servers that are assigned at the registrar end. If they are different, you see that error message.

3. Make sure the name servers assigned at registrar end should have an A record on your server.

4. Once you correct the 3 and 4 points, this should be fixed by itself else let us know.

3. labahost

Thank you very much.

I didn't notice that during the move all domain records changed their dns-es to local server default. There are a lot of domains, is there a way to automatically assign registrar ns-es to each domain on the server? (or manually, domain by domain is the only way?)

4. madaboutlinux

Well, you can replace them in bulk but it depends on the number of domains sharing the same name servers OR each one have their own name servers...

BTW, to replace the name servers in bulk, execute the following command

Note: it will replace the 'defaultnameserver' with the actualname server for all the domains on the server.

#4 madaboutlinux, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  5. labahost

Thank you, not all of the domains are on the same nameserver, but majority are, so I think I can do it.
    Do you know in what script language and how I can find registrar nameserver? May be I can make a more complicated script which will do everything automatically.

6. madaboutlinux

well, the 'whois' or the 'dig' command will tell you the name servers assigned to your domain at the registrar end i.e