The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS (/EXIM) issues - detailed

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by n3tph4t, Feb 16, 2007.

1. n3tph4t

n3tph4t Active Member

Long time listener 1st time caller:

I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to resolve this issue and don't feel any nearer.

My setup:
    DNS is off-site, no DNS is done on the box. My DNS servers in WHM are those of my external DNS.
    Everything is runs on the cpnael box. BIND is turned off.

My problem:
    Remote mail is delivered to the internal server fine (receive fine)
    Internal mail is delivered to the internal server fine (send and recieve fine)
    Remote mail is undelivered to the remote server (send fails - sits in mail queue)

Exim Main Log (there are hundreds of these):
    2007-02-16 17:15:45 1HI6fZ-00020i-7t == user@replaced.com R=lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup did not complete
    2007-02-16 17:18:45 1HI6fZ-00020i-7t == user@replaced.com R=lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup did not complete
    2007-02-16 17:27:13 1HI6fZ-00020i-7t == user@replaced.com R=lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup did not complete
    2007-02-16 17:40:05 1HI6fZ-00020i-7t == user@replaced.com R=lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup did not complete

Exim Panic Log:
    2007-02-16 15:15:40 failed to expand condition "${perl{checkuserbx}{$local_part}}" for boxtrapper_localuser router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkuserbx called.
    2007-02-16 15:15:40 failed to expand condition "${perl{democheck}}" for democheck router: Undefined subroutine &main::democheck called.
    2007-02-16 15:15:40 failed to expand condition "${perl{checkbx_autowhitelist}{$authenticated_id}}" for boxtraper_autowhitelist router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkbx_autowhitelist called.
    2007-02-16 15:15:40 failed to expand condition "${perl{checkspam}}" for lookuphost router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkspam called.
    2007-02-16 15:15:40 failed to expand condition "${perl{checkspam}}" for literal router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkspam called.

My resolve.conf (IP's kept in to help, will remove if of no use):
    nameserver 209.59.193.17
    nameserver 64.246.165.245
    nameserver 69.28.244.50

after reading a similar problem I then added these - not sure of the usefulness
    domain darkorb.net
    search darkorb.net
    nameserver 66.197.217.11
    nameserver 66.197.217.12

So far today I have done the following:
    tail /var/log/exim_mainlog - to see what was going on (no extra info)
    mkdir /etc/eximbackup - backup exim perl file
    mv /etc/exim.pl /etc/eximbackup/ - backup exim perl file
    /scripts/eximup --force
    /scripts/convert2maildir
    /scripts/courierup --force
    /scripts/upcp --force
    pico /etc/localdomains - to see if there was anything funky here there wasn't
    dig mx yahoo.co.uk - host not found
    traceroute yahoo.co.uk - host not found
    pico /etc/resolv.conf - contents given above
    /scripts/updatenow
    /scripts/updateuserdomains
    tail /var/log/exim_mainlog

I'm a cpanel n00b, I have had it for ages but interact with it very little, I don't think these issues are caused by cpanel/whm but if they are not then they may well be beyond my (very limited) DNS ability too.

I would appreciate any/all help offered. I have searched every thread which relates to similar issues to no avail. If anyone is in the UK and thinks they may be able to help, I would also be happy to call them and reimburse them for their time.

Many thanks

PS - I have tried to include any information which may be helpful, if there is anything ele I can add, please ask and I will endevour to get it for you.

2. tanfwc

tanfwc Well-Known Member

Do you have any firewall installed? This is strange because you cannot even do a dig lookup

3. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

did you manage to get any fix for this?