The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dns for dedicated ip account ?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by sebby, Oct 29, 2004.

1. sebby

sebby Well-Known Member

Hi,

I just set up a new account on a dedicated ip of my server. Since this client is hosting its DNS information elsewhere, I called this third party asking them to change their A record to point to my dedicated IP. These changes will propagate tonight.

However, my own DNS is not setup on this dedicated IP but on the main IP of my server. What will be the results? Should I have provided the third party with my main server IP? Whose name server is resolving what?

If you expect that this will not resolve properly, is there a way to move my secondary DNS to this dedicated IP? Would that resolve the issue? (inWHM the NS IPs are automatically assigned).

Thanks in advance. I'm so confused with this DNS stuff ! Any help will be most appreciated.

Sebby

#1 sebby, Oct 29, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  2. sebby

sebby Well-Known Member

24 hours later, "mydomain.ca" resolves whereas "www.mydomain.ca" does not (actually I don't have a DNS error but the latter resolves to the former web site).

I did a dig for the third party acting as a name server for this domain and both mydomain.ca and www.mydomain.ca have an A Record pointing to my dedicated IP where my account is (but as I mentionned above, I have no DNS configured on this IP).

Is this a propagation issue? I'd really like the opinion of an expert on this...

3. sebby

sebby Well-Known Member

Everything went fine.
    I have few more questions but I guess I'll turn to another community.

DNS are obviously a mystery for everyone here!

4. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not really