DNS for two servers under single domain

Operating System & Version
N/A
cPanel & WHM Version
N/A

bluecrab

Registered
Jul 23, 2006
I have two servers running WHM/cPanel and I'm having difficulty trying to figure out how to configure DNS.

So, let's say that my domain name is "mydomain.com".

My WHM/cPanel servers are named:
server1.mydomain.com
server2.mydomain.com

Each server maintains its own DNS for the accounts that are hosted on it.

Now, at my registrar, I have mydomain.com configured with "custom" nameservers that specify the nameservers for the entire domain. But I want to use ns1.server1.mydomain.com for accounts hosted on server1, and ns1.server2.mydomain.com for accounts hosted on server2. Not sure how to set this up. If I use my registrar's DNS and create A records for the servers (and corresponding ns1/ns2 records), I think that might work. But wouldn't that break AutoSSL?

Am I missing something here? Can someone please help. Thanks.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

On each server, you'll need to go to WHM>>Server Configuration>>Basic WebHost Manager Setup and enter the nameservers you want associated with that server in the provided boxes and create A records for them.

Once that's complete you'll need to go to mydomain.com's registrar and create all of the host records for the nameservers.

Once you've created these you need to assign them to your domains hosted on each of the servers so that the domains properly point to the server. This is detailed here: How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel & WHM Environment | cPanel & WHM Documentation