Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

dns forwarding help

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by 13erla, Nov 23, 2003.

1. 13erla

13erla Member

i have my domain with a company.. where i have dns.. i have it sending traffic to server 1. and i need to have server 1 send traffic to server 2. this way when i have the company change the IPs to server 2.. i won't have any down time or email on both servers.

what in the dns zone needs to be switched for this to work?

thanks in advance

2. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

i would assume you are transfering all accounts off one box to a new box. When i do somthing like this for a customer usually what i do is copy all the accounts over to the new box and then i will backup the /var/named on server1 and scp over all the zones from server2 back onto server1. i then rebuild named.conf using /scripts/rebuildnamedconf just as a precausion. After than i run a script i wrote which you can get here... http://www.cplicensing.net/extras/scripts/updateserial and restart bind. Then i would assume your going to transfer the nameservers over to the other machine...

so...

1. Move accounts over
    2. backup /var/named on server1
    3. scp over /var/named from server2 to server1
    4. rebuild named conf if you want to or just copy /etc/named.conf from server1
    5. update serial number on all zones http://www.cplicensing.net/extras/scripts/updateserial
    6. restart bind

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...