The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Help: Move domain, not mailserver

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Preserved, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Preserved

Preserved Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hey everyone,

I'm in the middle of launching a new website for an already-in-use domain. The domain has a complicated email system so we'd like to move that over to the new server a bit later on.

Currently the domain DNS is managed by the current webhost. I plan on moving the DNS management back to Network Solutions, then point the A record to the new website's IP. However, currently the DNS has the MX record the same as the A record.

When NetworkSolutions is managing the DNS, and I point the A record to the new IP, then the MX record can't be the A record..

Right now:
    A Record mydomain.com points to IP address 198.198.198.198
    MX record mydomain.com points to IP address 198.198.198.198

What I want:
    A Record mydomain.com points to IP address of new server
    MX record somehow points to current existing mailserver

Does this even make sense?

2. Preserved

Preserved Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    My goal is to not disrupt all the current users on the email system. Since the MX records point to mydomain.com, I'm guessing that each user has Outlook or whatever set to use mydomain.com as the mailserver?

Are you saying that I set up A records for WWW, @ and Mail. Then mail.mydomain.com points to the old IP? Then set up MX record to point to mail.mydomain.com?

Will this be enough to not disrupt the existing users and email?