The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Help needed

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by DooM SerV, Feb 11, 2006.

1. DooM SerV

DooM SerV Registered

Feb 11, 2006
    hello every1...
    i just moved from a reseller account to dedicated and i don't know how to create dns for the domain i want to use instead of the IP
    can sum1 guide me on how to setup the main server domain and the dns?
    any help will be much appreciated
  2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2005
    To register your own namservers, you will have to purchase 2 dedicated IPs from your host and have to add those on the server. You will then have to contact your domain resgitrar and will have to register the nameservers over there and can assign to the domain.
    For ex. suppose your domain is registered at, then you will have to contact them or you can do that from the domain control panel they have provided and can register the nameservers. The nameservers will be like :-
    1st IP >>
    2nd IP >>

Then login to WHM and go through the options like :-
    1) Server Configuration >> basic Cpanel/WHM Setup
    2) Networking Setup >> Hostname
    3) Networking Setup >> Nameserver IPs
    4) Service Configuration >> Nameserver Setup

Hostname should be like assuming is your main domain. For details regarding WHM options visit

** Remember to add the 2 additional Ips on the server before registering the nameservers.
  3. ShockHosts

ShockHosts Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2005
    The Dedicated IPs should be similiar... like

With those you just have to login to your domain registar, goto the nameserver creation page... and do the following..

Type and in the next box, you need to put your IP... which would be

Then in the next box put and put the other IP in the next box (,

So: | |

I hope that cleared it up.