The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Hosting skin?

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by djspark, Feb 4, 2003.

1. djspark

djspark Active Member

I would like to be able to offer domain hosting services via Cpanel... Does anyone know if there is a skin out there that allows DNS editing at the user level? So that if a person buys a domain from me, and wants DNS service I can give them a cpanel account with 0 space and some bandwidth and set the skin to a skin that just allows DNS editing... Is there such a skin out there that already works within cpanel? I have a e-mail only skin, so I imagine this would be possible... Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Doesn't sound like WHM (not Cpanel) can do what you desire. As the Control Panel is setup to manage Hosting accounts, to offer only DNS services would make not fit it with the current features.

If you want to provide services for DNS only, maybe ZoneEdit or another type site has an Affiliate/Reseller type account which is more along the lines of what you are looking for.

There are wheels available for Standard cars and Racing cars, that doesn't mean you can use one for the other. ;)

3. djspark

djspark Active Member

I understand... and agree with ur logic on this one... but... here's what brought me to wanting to do this...

I do my own domain registrations via my website, and customers can update the registration data, ns's, bililing data, etc...

The only thing needed to allow dns management on the site for both hosting clients and domain registration clients is a script to allow them to edit their zones...

The major factor in providing dns mangement for domains is bandwidth... essentially they need 0 space, possibly e-mail options, and the ability to edit their dns records... Cpanel monitors bandwidth, provides onine e-mail, and already has some dns control built in...

I know there is a skin out there that was made only to alllow e-mail so that hosts can sell email only domain accounts... This is exactly like that, only with more control over the domain...

I think it'll allow me to convert more of my domain reg customers over to hosting since they'll already have access to cpanel and see the benifits...

Thanks again,
    Mark

4. djspark

djspark Active Member

p.s. h-sphere has this functiionality built in... so i don't think its that outlandish of an idea...