The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS internal and external views separately

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by carock, Oct 2, 2012.

1. carock

carock Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2002
    St. Charles, MO
    I need to split the zones so internal and external have different IP's for each zone.

My web server only has one network interface on a private IP. There is a firewall that forwards http traffic to the internal IP. I would also still like to use cPanel as the DNS server.

Computers inside the network need to get the internal IP because the firewall won't allow traffic from inside to go to the public IP side to be forwarded inside again.

With BIND, the configuration is easy, but "tricking" cPanel so the zone's can be created and manipulated are another story.

I tried to add the public IP to the server. No prob, but changing the site's IP to that updates both inside and outside views because they use the same zone file.

Without having to manually edit every site I setup using cPanel, is there a way to manage the dual views within WHM or cPanel?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Chuck,

The only editable zone files are in WHM > DNS Functions > Edit Zone Templates area:

simple - Domains with an A entry only
    standard - Domains on a dedicated IP address, parked domains, and addon domains
    standardvirtualftp - Domains on a shared IP address

You can manually force the external IP there by hard coding it so that the external zone templates pick up the right IP. This would only work for domains on the main IP rather than any on a dedicated IP.