Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS / IP Issues

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Lycanthrope, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Registered

Ok, I just spent the last 4 days going crazy chasing something I knew was there but couldn't prove, and learned a whole lot in the process. I figured this may come in handy for someone down the road, not that this will happen a lot, but if it does...

I was given 2 IPs as part of a package and elected to have another 13 added. The first 2 days, (obviously spent creating / uploading sites), things were running smooth. All of a sudden the 13 "add-on" IPs started to resolve only when they wanted to. I chased the obvious and when that seemed fine sought the help of someone that knows a whole bunch more than I (Thank You B12org!).

I updated everything per his instructions which cleaned up a bunch of config files that I of course butchered in the process, but things still weren't resolving. I then got rid of my CNAME entries and switched them to A entries, (another great tip), which turns out to the the only reason I was able to find out the real problem. After making these changes I did some tests on DNS reports and DNS stuff and low and behold my mail server was reporting to be host.someotherdomain.com.

I did a DNS check on that domain and sure enough, his A entry for his host name pointed to what was supposed to be one of my IPs. This in itself of course doesn't mean anything, but when I entered the IP into my browser, I was taken to somebody else's home page.

Turns out the IPs in my subnet were also given to another / others which of course - well, sucks.

I will never again use CNAME entries again unless I absolutely have to. Had I not made these changes I'd still be going nuts because reverse DNS probes were only pointing to my data center and I would have never known this IP was trying to be resolved elsewhere.

I finally have the issue resolved, well, when DNS does, it will be ;)