The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS is freaking me out

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by wout000, Mar 20, 2009.

1. wout000

wout000 Member

So here's the pickle.

I have one server. And I am currently hosting one site successfully on that server, I am using nameservers from my host.

Now I want to host 2 other domains (sites) on my server. So I set up an account for them and WHM automatically creates a DNS zone for the domain. But my host only allows 1 domain in the DNS servers, so i can't be using the nameservers I was using to host the first domain (WHM automatically fills in the same nameservers)

Now how on earth do I edit the DNS/nameservers to make a domain point to that specific account on my server?

I'm flabbergasted....

to SUM up

I have 3 domains on 1 server (ip)

1 domain works with the nameservers of the host
    2 domains have other nameservers (working) but the site can't be accessed through the domain (so a dns problem)

#1 wout000, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    At your domain name registrar for the other two domains, edit the nameservers so that those 2 domains use the servers nameservers.

3. PDW

PDW Well-Known Member

Does your account come with "parked" or "addon" domains?
    then just point the domains at your registerar to the same nameserver as your original and go into cpanel and use those features.

4. wout000

wout000 Member

The thing is, I can't use the nameservers of my server (host)
    I use other nameservers, but i just can't get it too display the site...

1 domain with nameservers from my host => OK and working
    2 domains each with other nameservers => NOT working

I have seen there are 2 DNS zones for those 2 domains automatically setup with the nameservers of my host in them which is incorrect. Should I just delete those DNS zones (cause they are using a custom nameserver)?

5. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I never heard of such a thing. You'll need to contact your host to have them verify that what you're thinking is the case, actually is.

You could also setup your main account to be a reseller and use that resellers nameservers that you can setup. (See reseller center in WHM)

IMO, you are incorrect that the nameservers provided by your host cannot be used. But check and see to be sure.

They should be able to provide you with basic setup advice and support though. That's what you pay them for.

6. wout000

wout000 Member

I will re-phrase my question, thanks for the answers given btw.

I want to host more websites on my server.
    I host my own website, and the domain is set to use the nameservers provided by my host

The other domain i want to host, have their own nameservers. But I can't figure out by the life of me how I need to configure the DNS in WHM.

Do I delete the automatically created DNS zone? Do I alter it? Do I add a new zone....?

7. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

How many ips do you have? You can set up your own name servers, ie ns1.youdomain.com / ns2.yourdomain.com, and then use those at your registrar for your name servers on your other domain names.

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

If you moved an account to your server from another server, that account will now use your nameservers, not the nameservers on the old server.

If you setup that new account to be a reseller on your server, he can indeed then have his own nameservers as mentioned above, but it'll need to be setup.

If he's not going to be a reseller, he'd edit his nameservers at his domain name registrar that handles the domain so that it uses your nameservers.

If the account is moved already, and he then edits the nameservers at his registrar to use your nameservers, your work is already done. Just a matter of waiting out propagation of the domain.

Your host can better explain this to you, I'm sure of it.

9. wout000

wout000 Member

you keep talking about 'my' nameservers...

does this mean i have "ns1.mydomain.com" as a nameserver automatically or does something need to be set up for that aswell?

10. ChrisRHS

11. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

Type your domain into this:
    http://www.intodns.com/

If you have a domain setup on that server, you should (I would assume) have nameservers setup. If you choose not to use your own nameservers you might be using the ones from your host.

Who I also keep talking about, you asking them about all this. ;)

12. wout000

wout000 Member

Ok, but I would like to get domains to work with their own custom nameserver instead of mine (or is this impossible?)

But from what I hear, it should be better to just create my nameservers (ns1.mydomain.com) and make them point at those... right?

If so, how do i create those?

13. ChrisRHS

You can give the domains their own custom name servers, you would have to edit the dns zone for the domain(s) in question.

Add in the custom ns records, and make sure the add in the A records for them as well. IE:

yourdomain.com. 86400 IN NS ns1.yourdomain.com.
    yourdomain.com. 86400 IN NS ns2.yourdomain.com.
    ns1 14400 IN A 1.1.1.1 (assign an IP)
    ns2 14400 IN A 1.1.1.2 (assign another IP)

Make sure you use the tool posted above, intodns.com, as it will help troubleshoot any errors.

#13 ChrisRHS, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  14. wout000

wout000 Member

OK,

so what I did was this:

in WHM in basic setup:

I put in for nameservers ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com (this would create the ns servers right?)
    Then I inputted these values in the DNS settings of my domain at my registrar and edited the zone of this domain reflecting the settings above.

intoDNS shows everything is ok, yet it can't find any WWW content. and when I sue the domain, the browsers says he can't find it...

so something is wrong...I just have too figure out what :)