The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS is making my head hurt :S

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by timdorr, Nov 12, 2003.

1. timdorr

timdorr Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Ok, I just got my server and have been tackling the problem if setting up DNS and such. I have assigned the server the hostname and wish to use two of it's IPs for the name servers and

My domain uses for domain stuff. I gave A records under MyDomain for ns1 and ns2 to point to two different IPs on the server, and I gave two NS records for each server. After propigation delays, everything appears to work for, which is good.

My problem is I'm trying to change the nameservers for another domain: and says "Unavailable error in field Host name" when i use and I have those hostnames assigned to the server as it's nameservers under edit setup and under nameserver ips. I've also created DNS zones and pointed A records properly for ns1 and ns2. However, I've been informed by people I'm hosting that this gives errors in's registrar stuff too.

So, I'm stuck on this. Why does my server not appear to be a valid nameserver to the registrars out there? What are the basic steps for self-hosting DNS, so I can see if I'm missing anything? Thanks a *lot* for any help :)