The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS is not working at all!

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Helme, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Helme

Helme Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Greetings everybody,

First of all, let me say that I'm a newbie to this whole thing so please excuse me if my questions seem too straight forward or silly.
    I reckon the best way to ask for help about my issue is to tell the whole story and I'd like you to help me identify where the problem is exactly but I'm pretty sure it's something to do with DNS.
    So I went on a website that provides VPS, I bought a VPS and installed CentOS 7.2 server on it.

The first thing I did is that I installed perl - updated - installed cPanel/WHM in the following order:-
    1- yum install perl
    2- yum -y update
    3- cd /home
    4- hostname *my FQDN*
    4- wget https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/latest
    5- sh latest
    So now I have installed cPanel.

Now, I have bought 3 static IPs for my WHM.
    Then I went to https://IP:2087 and went through the basic installation guide.
    The reason I got 3 IPs is because I wanted the hostname to have a unique IP address and also each nameserver.

So I went to DNS functions and edited the DNS zones and provided A entry for the host name, ns1 and ns2.
    Then I went to my domain provider (which provides the domain that I have used in the hostname) and changed the nameservers to ns1.mydomain.com/ns2.mydomain.com

But the domain just doesn't work, nothing works actually. I feel like I've missed something along the way but I can't identify it, I don't know what's wrong and I don't know what I'm missing. This has been the issue for about a week now and I have absolutely no clue what to do. Help is much appreciated.

Sorry the long thread, hope you will help me. Thanks.

2. Helme

Helme Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I forgot to mention that I have asked my datacenter to setup the rDNS of the IPs correctly.
    One for the hostname and the other two for the nameservers.
    Still nothing happened.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Check to ensure that you also configured the name server IP addresses for those name servers at your domain registrar. There's a document explaining how to do this at:

How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

4. Helme

Helme Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello thank you for your reply.

But as I already mentioned in the post, I have successfully configured the nameservers for the domain on my registrar.

ns1.mydomain.com
    ns2.mydomain.com

and I've also added their specific IP addresses. But still it's not working?

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you try using a utility such as intodns.com to see what it reports for the affected domain name? Also, could you verify that you've created an account for the domain name? Documentation on account creation is found at:

Create a New Account - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

6. Helme

Helme Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for your attention and time Sir.

I have used intodns.com/example.com ,Now you can see the result for yourself..

Update: I'm now able to access WHM through hostname which is server.example.com yet example.com isn't working yet and yes I have created an account for the domain..

Help me please I think I'm close to the solution..

UPDATE:-

I have removed csf firewall and reinstalled firewalld then opened /scripts/configure_firewall_for_cpanel and now intoDNS.com/ahelme.com doesn't show any errors... except one things... the website is still not working..

Update:-

Finally, I managed to fix it. turns out the problem was with my Network configuration.

Basically I've attached 3 IPs for the server and the three of them were default gateway, I had to delete them via ip route del and then systemctl restart network.service and it worked itself out and everything is working...

Thanks for the help Michael!

#6 Helme, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
    cPanelMichael likes this.
  7. Helme

Helme Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry but I have a problem again...

every once in a while, the website goes down and there are many errors reported on intodns.com

Also do I have to assign the IPs for the nameservers to the CentOS server? because every time I fix ip route (because it sets 3 default gateways) and make only one gateway it turns back to 3 gateways after a while so I unassigned the nameserver IPs and just left the main shared IP..

I have weird problems like, the website working from certain IPs but not from other IPs... for example I have bought another windows server from the same data center and it has a similar IP to the shared cPanel IP and the website works on that windows server but it doesn't work on my pc or any other PC

So in brief:-

1- Do I have to assign Nameservers IPs to the server?
    2- Why do my ip route tables change spontaneously?
    3- How to fix the errors that show up on intodns.com?

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, the IP addresses you use for your name servers should be added to the cPanel server if you are using it to handle the DNS for your domain names. Regarding the other issues, could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.