The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS issue for the same domain

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by netwanderer, Feb 27, 2012.

1. netwanderer

netwanderer Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have setup custom nameservers and was under the incorrect impression that they were not functioning correctly, though they could be reached via a browser.
    I have since setup another account and delegated to my custom nameservers, and viola they are working, for that domain, but not for the initial one.
    the nameservers are ns1.betterbytes.net, and ns2.betterbytes.net - the domain that give a loojup failure and does not funtion is simple betterbytes.net and the new account, that resolves correctly is enviroblendfertiliser.com.au.

Any ideas what I have done, I'm thinking the zone file, but i can't see an issue with it.
    Additoinal info, both nameservers are on their own ip, and both the 'hosted' accounts are on the same regular hosting IP.:confused:

#1 netwanderer, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. netwanderer

netwanderer Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    ok, nvm, it appears though i had restarted both named ,and most services, and the server yesterday - going through deleting cached copies, and manually resetting a couple of things, no changes mind you - it is now working fine and finding the info it was lacking :)

3. TopCatHost

TopCatHost Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A step by step guide to Name Server Set UP-

If it works, I have a record (where it counts and will know why it works)

If it fails I have a record and can try to find out where I went wrong:

Statement: There is no such thing as a simple DNS question:

For the record, I have about one solid year of experience with cPanel/WHM hosting, yet finally just now have access to all of the controls via a VPS (where I pay a little extra for "managed") ...

Please assume I have some knowledge of DNS, and have:

Created two nameservers (which happen to be a name different from my domain name)

I created: ns1.example.net and ns2.example.net pointing to: 123.456.789.101 and ** ** ** 201 (They are in the same zone or cluster but fine points will be for another thread.

Now:

I am at the WHM/cPanel control, I did some sort of setting up (originally) ...but of course screwed that up by changing an IP form the main one (assigned by the host) top some other one (because I could) and then got the annoying screen that says you gotta validate this license was used ..15 days etc) so the company fixed that...

I told the tech guy at the time that I might have "added a tertiary resolver" but was "worried" about a "conflict" b/c I was using another ip (a dedicated IP) that I have from another web host (but that one is supposed to be used for this other site)= potential conflict.

AND:

I asked the guy about the "primary and secondary DNS resolvers" and I recognized those google IP's 8.8. etc...

So,

While I had the guy on the phone I entered the IP and the A record on the "edit dns zone" [ Remember no accounts are here yet so just one zone...

So lets just say, that maybe everything is okay:

All that stuff happened last night and:

I have been getting these messages from:

cPanel ChkServd Service Monitor cpanel@server-

" A restart was attempted automagically.

Service Check Method: [check command]

QUESTION: Other than setting up the IP addresses in WHM, and adding in those ns1 ns2 A records, and whatever else was done "automatically,... do I now have to:

I have heard about creating accounts in WHM when I did not have "root" access and I had to somehow (as the techs told me" bring in the domains (which are elsewhere where they were registered) using the WHM- Create account fucntion:

Create accounts for "each name server in WHM... I see WHM has let me put in:

ns1.example.net

Yet I am thinking by the time I am done (I will push the button) it will say that I cannot because there "already is a zone" for that domain"

If it lets me I will do the same for ns2.example.net

So far its working! I hope I am doing the right thing... ( The leap in faith where you remember what others told you and try to apply it to the "new" situation..., while logging the changes on a forum like this is exciting!

And then go ahead and create an account for:

I am now entering the main account....

I am now wondering if I have to (or even should) turn over a majority of my servers resources over to this one domain, after all it will be the main domain of the server?.... Hm I decided to give it between 1/4 to 1/3 of the resources mainly because I do not want cPanel/WHM and the OS and control panel itself think it has to "scrimp" on the resources to save for the needs of one domain!

(do you get what I am thinking.. does this make sense in VPS optimized WHM cPanel how many GB and bandwidth and memory is "required" for the ideal workings of these products?

Now, the final question is this, do I allow the:

"... DNS Settings
    Use the nameservers specified at the Domain's Registrar
    (ignore locally specified nameservers)...

Because usually I do...yet for this I am thinking... cPanel/WHM has already "heard of this domain" and has hopefully been anxiously been awaiting its arrival...

So the computer (and only this computer knows) because I have:

The name servers

ns1.example.net
    ns2.example.net

( At one specific registrar - which does not really "let me" create or Edit DNS zones or records...)

While the main domain is at another registrar, where I may not have yet created or placed that domain into the right "DNS zone"..... In other words at this point the domain is on the name servers yet I have not created the specific DNS zone yet..!!! ( as I recall) I will make the domain accept the local setting in this case. [ At least until I am more sure of the DNS setting of that zone...

I am bout to push the button....

( I am signing off here)

PS: I am thinking as I continue to float out here in cyber-space, that the system has been primed and is ready to receive the imput yet until the "Authoritative- Parent Record is Set" at the host, and then re-checked across the domain registrars involved then it will not work.. and even then it will take time to propagate the DNS records and entries across the internet universe.

4. TopCatHost

TopCatHost Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Interesting that the automated creation of: MainDomain.com was not sent to to the main IP (which is a dedicated IP) and was somehow set to be my main IP, but rather was delegated to another one of the IP's associated with the VPS account.

I guess if I am right on this matter, the dedicated IP that was provided by my host as my "main Ip" is the one where the OS runs, and the Control Panel- controls, and cPanel sets up, and that resources are probably delegated to having the 1st priority to do what must be done...

Sorry if this did not come off as a question, I am typically used to "chat" support, and this was the next best thing,, of course if it does not work out.. I will be back!

5. TopCatHost

TopCatHost Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Now I am back at the registrar for the main domain of the system.

The automated WHM when I selected "use the ns1/ns2 as set up for the name server, it set up the main domain on the "same Ip as the ns2 name server.

The info that I looked up on intodns has the main domain set up on the www. A record. This seems definitive (and good enough for me) ...

Klothnet has the main domain on the same ns2 (name server) ..

So back at the registrar where the main domain is (its a different Registrar from where the name servers are) what are the records that must be set for the main domain DNS template?

The choices I have are:

Already partially filled in

Type Host address

A * (put in the ns2 ip address)

A @ (same)

cName www maindomainname.com

I am believing that I need to put "just the fully qualified domain name "the main domain of my system here"

I noticed the record on the "parent name server" the "A entry for the host domain is: server.maindomainname.com and it has been set to the main IP which I assume cPanel is using...

[ All these question are because I have never had a "dedicated system" and always used a shared system. ]

Do I also need to add the Name Servers info to the DNS zone template for the Main Domain- what cPanel calls "HostName?

The choices above are filled in as shown:

I can also add additional A, CNAME, MX and TXT?

Question: Should I add the name servers onto this DNS template for the Main Domain?

And if so, do I just add the ns1/ns2 and Ip's or do I add the:

ns1.nameserver.net 123.456.789.101
    ns2.nameserver.net 123.456.289.202

Recall that the name servers (as explained prev. are at a different registrar..

BTW: Perhaps I should mention the system has "automagically" tried to re-start over 239 times... since the person at my host fixed the "main domain issue"..