The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Issue.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by DigiCrime, Jun 28, 2010.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime Well-Known Member

I have sites that intermittently go down and other sites that are up. Log into the server everything's fine or so it seems I guess. Back story. I use a VPN to connect into another server but it also gives me an IP of that server so I still have internet access and I bring up my email and didn't cross my mind that the site was down to me but it worked when I was on my VPN that goes to some other server. Various VPNs I use connect to Germany, UK, California, and New York. Just for curiosity sake when a site appears down to me, I connect on the VPN and that site is up. :confused:

Another test, I RDP into some other servers around me locally that all have the same internet provider that I do, same problem.

At this point I thought my ISP is having name server problems. I get contacted by someone in Canada and South Africa who have the same exact problem I do. I assigned a secondary DNS in their nic properties (OPEN DNS) and it works.

That's the only solution I can provide to them as a temporary fix but I don't think my provider is having problems so it must be my server that is having some issues. The outages last several hours, come and go at random but I have noticed its mostly at night time when it goes out.

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

some obvious questions:

a) have you done tracerts from working and non-working systems to see what might be different?

b) when you say some are down and some are up, I assume we're talking about sites on the same server?

c) have you done DNS tests online to see what others are seeing on both working and non-working domains?

d) do you have any secondary DNS servers setup?