The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS issue

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by remcie, Jan 9, 2015.

1. remcie

remcie Member

Nov 5, 2014
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good day :)

we are experiencing some issues with one of our websites, hosted on our dedicated server.

Most of the time, the website seems to be ‘up and running’ correctly, however we receive at least 10 emails a week visitors cannot reach the website. This is strange because all the other websites that are hosted on the same server do not experience similar problems.
    Sometimes these messages say the server cannot be reached, sometimes an error appears saying:

"The server at [] can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventingGoogle Chrome from accessing the network.

When we run some online DNS check tools, often they display some errors/problems, like:

None of the name servers responded in a timely manner
    Local NS list does not match Parent NS list
    Serial numbers do not match
    No SPF records found

Even when these errors show up, myself I can reach the website without any problem.

Soo we contacted our hosting provider, to see if they could find the problem. Basically, this is what they found:

You have the nameservers on that domain set to and
    I believe the nameservers should be and
    I don't know where the is set up and I believe that is what is breaking your site.

Before changing anything I decided to post this here as I don't want to edit anything on the server that might affect other websites on this server.
    I am not sure why the nameservers on this server are set to Can I simply change this to without running any risks? Should I change this on a server-level (if possible) or in the DNS Zone file settings of every page individually?

Many thanks for your time :)
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can modify the name servers in the individual DNS zones via:

"WHM Home » DNS Functions » Edit DNS Zone"

The default name servers used on new accounts are configured via:

"WHM Home » Server Configuration » Basic cPanel & WHM Setup"

The following thread is useful for information about setting up name servers:

[Tutorial] Nameserver configuration on cPanel servers

Thank you.