The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Issues

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by ds0101, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ds0101

ds0101 Registered

Ok, for some reason I have gotten myself into a DNS funk and have a bad case of CRS. I am getting errors out of my system that tell me my resolves to 24.*.*.* It should resolve to 192.168.10.2. Please be sure to correct /etc/hosts as well as the 'A' entry in zone file for the domain.

I have obviously set something up wrong, or not standardized and I cannot figure out what. I have basic knowledge of DNS.

The frustrating this is I want to learn, but have not found any articles or suggestions on this issue.

I have a webserver located on a cable modem with a static IP address. The server is behind a firewall that has (NAT) to the correct private address. All websites are working and email is working, i just keep getting the above errors.

The web server is running bind9 and it is pointed at it's self in named server IP (192.168.10.2). In the /etc/resolv.conf file are listed the DNS servers offered by the cable modem provider (they are public). I have DynDNS setup with a custom DNS service pointed at my static IP.

Ideas, suggestions, questions or comments would be appreciated.

D. Smith

2. serversignature

serversignature Well-Known Member

Since you are using DyDNS

what does /etc/resolv.conf shows ?

Code:
    ~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    Add a DNS entry for the hostname to the ip address from inside your whm, make sure that the entry at /etc/hosts for the hostname is correct:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx host.domain.com

Also add an entry for the host.domain.com inside the db file for domain.com, but usually adding a DNS entry for the hostname inside the server will help.

3. ds0101

ds0101 Registered

/etc/confg

Shows the DNS of my cable modem provider: *.*.*.101 and *.*.*.10

I did however go through the /etc/hosts and found several errors. I am correct is thinking this file should only read:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.10.2 webserver1.xxxxxxx.net webserver1

It currently looks like this

127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.214.219 localhost.localdomain
    192.168.10.2 webserver1.xxxx.net webserver1

My internal network is small and I only use 192.168.10.x.

Weird - Thanks for the help!