The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Issues

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by explicit, Feb 12, 2005.

1. explicit

explicit Member

Feb 12, 2005
    ok...i posted a bit ago and i got a rather helpful response...but im still having problem.

I dont know how to set up the DNS in WHM as im new to dedicated servers. Heres what ive done so far

1) Done the server set up and set the dns to and <- examples. The first domain name server was automatically assigned the main IP of the server. The second was assigned one of the other 4 Ip's.

2) I found a feature in WHM about enabling Name Servers So I Did That.

3) Ive modified the hostname from what it started with My server IP i know that much. To

4) When i try to goto where i bought my Domain and get my domain to point at my server it denys access...It says it cant point to that name server and gives me some error 500.

Im very confused in this matter anyone please help :mad:
  2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    This is based on how I did it . . .

I'm relatively new to managing a server, so I'm no expert, but I can tell you how I did it so that you have something to follow. You've probably completed some of these steps, but they're all here just for completeness.

In order to use your own domain name as name server aliases, you'll first need to modify the DNS records for this to work. Given the fact that you said "When i try to goto where i bought my Domain and get my domain to point at my server . . .", I assume that you are not yet hosting this domain.

1. Have the relevant A and GLUE records set up in the registry of

If you plan to use and as name server addresses, you'll need records added for these beforehand. Both the A and GLUE records need to be set up as: <your server's IP> <the IP of the secondary name server you plan to use>

There must be GLUE records as well as standard A records set up for these. If you're not sure how to this, contact the company with whom you registered the domain name.

2. Enable the name server on your server
    WHM > Service Configuration > Nameserver Setup

3. Set your name servers in WHM
    WHM > Edit setup

4. Wait around until the A and GLUE records mentioned above have propagated. After they have been created in the registry for your domain, they will take about 24-72 hours to work properly. After 24 hours have passed since they were created, try to ping and to check that they both resolve to the correct IP addresses. Once they do, wait about another 24 hours to be on the safe side (its a game of patience)

Once the A and GLUE records have been set up and are working, you should now be able to host domains using and

5. Create a new account for your domain (I'm assuming that you want to host your domain and that you want to run a website from it)
    WHM > Account Functions > Create a new account

6. Check that the DNS settings on your server for your domain are correct. This is to ensure that once your transfer your domain to your server things will still work properly.
    WHM > DNS Functions > Edit a DNS zone

Select (most likely being the only one listed). In the zone file, check that things generally match what is listed in the file I have attached named dns.png.

7. If all is OK with the zone file for, transfer it to your server. You can do this by changing the name servers for the domain to and You should be able to do this through the control panel that the company from whom you purchased the domain name gave you, or by contacting them and asking them nicely.

Once your domain name has been transferred, you can change your hostname to, as long as this matches what is in the zone file for

I hope this helps!

Attached Files:

• dns.png
      File size:
      12.2 KB
  3. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    your hostname does not resolve to the box no A records ( which if you look below you are using your registars DNS so you would have to add it there)
    your dns apears to be not running on your box is using DNS which is your registars DNS
    No MX records is not a public IP
  4. bxy

bxy Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Wow, where is these peoples help, you have newbees tring to help newbees, on a systen that to say it is vague is an understatement, 10 blank boxes totaly void of any kind of any identification, and a help file that just says this is your DNS. Wish I had Bind, but I rent so I have cPanel. Sounds like you folks need to hire me, I understand the code, and I am good at simplifing computer terms. But blank spaces, void of and discription, and with out help. That I am no good with. I stay off the slots downtown Vegas, because pot luck is not my thing.
  5. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2004
    What are you talking about?

AFAIK, Bind is used for dns on all Redhat based Cpanel systems... not sure about Freebsd, etc though. The WHM interface is just supposed to be a slightly easier interface instead of editing the zone file in a shell session with a text editor.
  6. SickFinga

SickFinga Member

Jan 21, 2005
    OK, i think explicit is saying that he can not modify his domain at registrar to point to his DNS.

to point to and

If yes, you gotta set up DNS for that server different way.

It looks like with NameSecure you have to email them to setup nameserver from reading their FAQ. Just email them and they should set them up for you.